NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Wisbech St Mary are up for the fight as they bid to turn their tough season around
- Credit: Archant
Manager Arran Duke has revealed his determination to stop the Wisbech St Mary rot.
Saints have not won a Thurow Nunn League First Division match since August and Duke admits his men have ‘massively underperformed’ this season.
They were on the receiving end of a 4-0 home defeat at the hands of table-toppers Whitton last Saturday, but Duke remains confident the club can turn things around.
“Ultimately, we just haven’t been good enough,” he told the Wisbech Standard. “We have massively underperformed.
“It has been a really difficult few months and to be honest anything that could have gone wrong, has gone wrong.
You may also want to watch:
“We have sat down with the squad and there is a real determination to get things right. I am realistic and know it’s not just going to happen overnight, but we’ve got to all work hard at it.
“The lads are all in it together and I have nothing but respect for the them. Things have been tough but they just keep going when it would have been easy for them to have walked away. They are up for the fight.”
- 1 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits
- 2 Updates as emergency services rush to major crash blocking B1101
- 3 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
- 4 Serious crash blocks main road into Fen town
- 5 Home next to disused railway bridge gets the go-ahead
- 6 Man in his 20 dies at West Norfolk park
- 7 Breast cancer survivor on why weight loss 'saved my life'
- 8 On hottest day of the year hospital 'put me in a store room for over two hours'
- 9 Fifty jobs up for grabs as Deliveroo announces early move into Wisbech
- 10 Man jailed for sexual relationship with schoolgirl
Third-bottom Saints go to Debenham LC, who sit in seventh place in the First Division, this Saturday and are boosted by the return of two key players - defender Dean Miller and frontman Nick Davey.
“Debenham will be another tough test for us but it’s great to have Nick and Dean back,” added Duke.