NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: The 10 men of Wisbech St Mary stretch their unbeaten run
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech St Mary stretched their unbeaten run to four Thurlow Nunn League First Division games last night – despite playing with only 10 men for almost an hour.
Boss Arran Duke hailed the work-rate of his Saints after they battled out a 2-2 draw with Leiston Reserves at the ABC Quality Meats Stadium.
Dale Parnell put Saints ahead in the 33rd minute but moments later they had Jack Mockford dismissed for collecting a second caution.
Leiston Reserves levelled after 65 minutes before Jack Friend restored the Saints quickly restored Saints’ advantage, but the visitors struck again with 12 minutes to go as the contest ended in deadlock.
Duke said: “It was another good point for us and we had to earn it the hard way being down to 10 men for so long.
“The work-rate of the lads was excellent and the overall performance was very positive. It’s clear the confidence is back in the group.”
Saints are back on home turf this Saturday when entertaining bottom side Needham Market Reserves, 3pm. Duke’s men ended a near six-month wait for a league win when beating the same opponents on February 17.
- 1 Princess Eugenie on mission to stop modern slavery
- 2 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 3 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 4 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 5 Crowds watch as Wisbech lights up for Christmas
- 6 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 7 Yellows keep up league form while reds stumble for Wisbech
- 8 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
- 9 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
- 10 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
They welcome back in-from frontman Nick Davey, who has scored nine times in his last six appearances but missed the Leiston Reserves clash due to work commitments.
Saints then hit the road on Tuesday when they travel to Debenham LC for a rearranged First Division KO Cup quarter-final