NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Spot of bother for Saints in cup final
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech St Mary suffered Thurlow Nunn League First Division KO Cup final frustration for the second successive season.
Arran Duke’s side were beaten 3-2 on penalties by promoted side Whitton in the showpiece clash last Friday.
Saints twice came from behind in normal time thanks to equalisers from Tom Chilton and Dean Miller – the second of those arriving in the 88th minute – to send the tie, staged at Diss, to the spot.
Jack Friend then converted the first Saints penalty with goalkeeper Joe Simpson keeping out Whitton’s opening effort.
Ben Coe also scored for Saints, but they missed their three remaining penalties taken by Nick Davey, Josh Burrows and Chilton. Whitton were successful three times from the spot to secure victory.
You may also want to watch:
Duke admitted: “It’s not a nice feeling to be beaten in the same final two seasons running, but we’ll go again and hope to go one better in the future.
“I’m proud of the way the lads took a promoted Whitton team all the way to penalties.”
- 1 Woman claims police officer ‘forced himself’ upon her
- 2 A fiver for a photographic tour of historic Wisbech
- 3 Table tennis club 'bitterly disappointed' to be told to move
- 4 'A crash waiting to happen' say police
- 5 Flytippers target same Fenland road two days in a row
- 6 'Harassment' forces village speedwatch team to close
- 7 ‘Shift well spent!’: Fen Cops target illegal motorists in day of action
- 8 Cafe to shut for good after eight years
- 9 New ditch to relieve flood issues 'more challenging than expected'
- 10 Van overturns after striking Ely’s infamous ‘most bashed bridge’