NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Promotion glory for Wisbech Town
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town are going up.
The Fenmen sealed promotion from the United Counties League Premier Division last night when triumphing 1-0 at Daventry Town.
A solitary Adam Millson goal early in the second half secured a precious victory for Gary Setchell’s side, who are now guaranteed a top two finish.
But Wisbech can finish the season in style by being crowned champions when entertaining the same opponents at the Elgoods Fenland Stadium this Saturday.
Setchell’s men will need another victory to leapfrog leaders Yaxley, who won 1-0 at Kirby Muxloe in their final fixture last night to also seal promotion.
You may also want to watch:
Wisbech are a point behind them, but Yaxley boast a vastly superior goal difference.
“It’s great to have promotion secured,” said Setchell, who has inspired an incredible Wisbech rise after replacing Dick Creasey as manager early in the season. Wisbech lost four of their opening six games before his arrival.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 7 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 8 Take 10 initiative leaves students ‘buzzing’ about literacy
- 9 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 10 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
“But now it is all about finishing the job off in front of our own fans by beating Daventry again on Saturday.
“The boys deserve the title after five wins and five clean sheets in a row at such an important stage of the season.
“This is a very hard league to win, but we’re on the cusp.”
It’s the first time the Fenmen have won promotion since finishing as runners-up in the Eastern Counties League back in 1996-97. They last won a league title in 1991.
Wisbech won’t learn which league they will play in next season until later this month.