NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Promotion glory for Wisbech Town
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town are going up.
The Fenmen sealed promotion from the United Counties League Premier Division last night when triumphing 1-0 at Daventry Town.
A solitary Adam Millson goal early in the second half secured a precious victory for Gary Setchell’s side, who are now guaranteed a top two finish.
But Wisbech can finish the season in style by being crowned champions when entertaining the same opponents at the Elgoods Fenland Stadium this Saturday.
Setchell’s men will need another victory to leapfrog leaders Yaxley, who won 1-0 at Kirby Muxloe in their final fixture last night to also seal promotion.
You may also want to watch:
Wisbech are a point behind them, but Yaxley boast a vastly superior goal difference.
“It’s great to have promotion secured,” said Setchell, who has inspired an incredible Wisbech rise after replacing Dick Creasey as manager early in the season. Wisbech lost four of their opening six games before his arrival.
- 1 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 2 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 3 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 4 Homeless champion delighted as young couple finally have shelter
- 5 Council books seven hotels and guest houses for homeless
- 6 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 7 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
- 8 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 9 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 10 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
“But now it is all about finishing the job off in front of our own fans by beating Daventry again on Saturday.
“The boys deserve the title after five wins and five clean sheets in a row at such an important stage of the season.
“This is a very hard league to win, but we’re on the cusp.”
It’s the first time the Fenmen have won promotion since finishing as runners-up in the Eastern Counties League back in 1996-97. They last won a league title in 1991.
Wisbech won’t learn which league they will play in next season until later this month.