NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Josh Ford and Alex Beck give Wisbech Town the perfect start to their UCL Premier Division campaign
- Credit: Archant
“Start as you intend to go on,” was the message from Wisbech Town manager Dick Creasey to his players ahead of their opening UCL Premier Division fixture - and they answered that call with a 2-1 victory over Wellingborough Town yesterday afternoon.
Creasey’s men have been tipped to be one of the sides to challenge for the title this season and they began their quest for silverware with three points thanks to goals from Josh Ford – his first league strike since re-singing for the Fenmen in the summer – and Alex Beck.
Beck gave the hosts the perfect start after just two minutes, before Ford fired in on the half-time whistle.
The visitors halved the deficit in the second half, and Wisbech captain Jon Fairweather was dismissed after receiving a second yellow, but the Fenmen held on to capture their first points of the campaign.
Wisbech return to action tomorrow (August 1), when they welcome Premier League Burnley to Fenland.
You may also want to watch:
The Clarets take on Wisbech as part of the deal which saw youngster Harry Limb join Sean Dyche’s men in February. The match also falls on Limb’s 18th birthday.
- 1 Woman claims police officer ‘forced himself’ upon her
- 2 A fiver for a photographic tour of historic Wisbech
- 3 Table tennis club 'bitterly disappointed' to be told to move
- 4 'A crash waiting to happen' say police
- 5 Flytippers target same Fenland road two days in a row
- 6 ‘Shift well spent!’: Fen Cops target illegal motorists in day of action
- 7 'Harassment' forces village speedwatch team to close
- 8 New ditch to relieve flood issues 'more challenging than expected'
- 9 Cafe to shut for good after eight years
- 10 Van overturns after striking Ely’s infamous ‘most bashed bridge’