NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Former Fenman Ross Watson hits winner as Yaxley see off Wisbech Town in UCL League Cup final
- Credit: Archant
The gloss was taken off a fine end-of-season run for Wisbech Town yesterday after the Fenmen were pipped 2-1 in the final of the UCL League Cup by rivals Yaxley.
The game was one dominated by the actions of former Fenmen players; firstly with Matt Sparrow having to be taken to hospital in an ambulance after colliding with the advertising boards and, on the pitch, former Wisbech striker Ross Watson notching the decisive goal with eight minutes to play.
Michael Frew – formerly of Yaxley – also put his name in the headlines by receiving a red card in the second period.
There was little to choose between the sides in the first period until Dan Cotton fired Yaxley into the lead just seconds before the break.
To their credit, Wisbech responded well in the second half and got their equaliser thanks to a fine strike from youngster Liam Adams.
You may also want to watch:
Wayne Morris then became the first player to see red after 71 minutes, before both sides were reduced to 10 men when Frew was given his marching orders just eight minutes later.
And the striker’s dismissal proved pivotal, as 10 minutes later Watson fired home from close range.
- 1 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 2 Tories retain two Wisbech seats for county council
- 3 Man on the run after stealing e-scooter from child
- 4 Two charged with Wisbech murder
- 5 Suspected drug dealers arrested in Wisbech raid
- 6 Election 2021: Wisbech West tops poll for lowest turnout
- 7 First wholetime woman firefighter in Cambs retires after 30 years
- 8 Three derelict cottages sell in auction for £122,000
- 9 Tories retain Octavia Hill ward in by election
- 10 New £1.5million Co-op store opens its doors – creating 12 local jobs