NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Defeat at Harborough hits Wisbech Town’s title hopes
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town’s title challenge suffered a blow last Saturday as they slipped to a 2-1 defeat to Harborough Town.
Gary Setchell’s side dropped to third in the United Counties League Premier Division as a result of the setback in Leicestershire.
They now trail leaders Yaxley by six points, but do boast three matches in hand on the table-topping Cuckoos.
All the goals arrived in an eventful first half at Bowden’s Park, with Ben Williams putting Harborough ahead after just five minutes.
Daniel Bendon levelled the scores for Wisbech 20 minutes later and the Fenmen were unlucky not to take the lead themselves with good chances falling to Alex Beck and Michael Frew.
You may also want to watch:
Aaron Preston restored the hosts’ advantage on the verge of half-time and despite dominating large spells of the second half Wisbech, who handed a debut to latest signing Jamie Thurlbourne, were unable to force an equaliser.
Setchell’s side can’t afford any more slip-ups if they are to maintain their push for the Premier Division crown and will be looking to bounce back to winning ways when they welcome Daventry Town to the Elgoods Fenland Stadium tomorrow, 3pm, weather permitting.
- 1 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits
- 2 Covid ban on collecting CCTV says police after cycle theft
- 3 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
- 4 Updates as emergency services rush to major crash blocking B1101
- 5 Hancock admits QEH 'in serious need of improvement' but makes no promises
- 6 Home next to disused railway bridge gets the go-ahead
- 7 Former Fen pupil’s McLaren supercar work leads to national award
- 8 Man in his 20 dies at West Norfolk park
- 9 On hottest day of the year hospital 'put me in a store room for over two hours'
- 10 Man jailed for sexual relationship with schoolgirl
Wisbech then travel to Wellingborough Whitworth on Tuesday night ahead of a return clash against Daventry next Saturday (March 10).