NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Defeat at Harborough hits Wisbech Town’s title hopes
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town’s title challenge suffered a blow last Saturday as they slipped to a 2-1 defeat to Harborough Town.
Gary Setchell’s side dropped to third in the United Counties League Premier Division as a result of the setback in Leicestershire.
They now trail leaders Yaxley by six points, but do boast three matches in hand on the table-topping Cuckoos.
All the goals arrived in an eventful first half at Bowden’s Park, with Ben Williams putting Harborough ahead after just five minutes.
Daniel Bendon levelled the scores for Wisbech 20 minutes later and the Fenmen were unlucky not to take the lead themselves with good chances falling to Alex Beck and Michael Frew.
Aaron Preston restored the hosts’ advantage on the verge of half-time and despite dominating large spells of the second half Wisbech, who handed a debut to latest signing Jamie Thurlbourne, were unable to force an equaliser.
Setchell’s side can’t afford any more slip-ups if they are to maintain their push for the Premier Division crown and will be looking to bounce back to winning ways when they welcome Daventry Town to the Elgoods Fenland Stadium tomorrow, 3pm, weather permitting.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'lovely' teenager as police continue murder probe
- 2 Seven places where £4.9m road maintenance has been approved
- 3 New dessert shop bids to become 'best in the area'
- 4 Footballer, Harry, hoping for future in professional football
- 5 Farmer wins appeal to convert derelict barn into a house
- 6 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 7 Family's tribute to 'son in a million' killed in motorbike crash
- 8 Travel firm to send our special Covid carers on a 'thank you' holiday
- 9 Jail for paedophile who photographed abuse
- 10 Detectives given longer to question Downham Market murder suspects
Wisbech then travel to Wellingborough Whitworth on Tuesday night ahead of a return clash against Daventry next Saturday (March 10).