NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Beck at the double as Wisbech Town triumph
- Credit: Archant
Leading scorer Alex Beck hit both goals as Wisbech Town returned to winning ways last night.
The Fenmen came from behind to earn an important 2-1 success at Wellingborough side Whitworth in the United Counties League Premier Division.
Boss Gary Setchell said: “It was a really important result after losing at Harborough in our previous game.
“We’ve been in the last chance saloon a few times this season and always seem to produce our best when that’s the case.
“We went behind, but nothing was going to stop us from winning the game.
You may also want to watch:
“We could have still been at Harborough now and not got the job done, but there was a different mindset last night.”
Wisbech found themselves trailing to a breakaway goal after just five minutes, but levelled when Beck raced onto a pass from strike partner Michael Frew and fired past an on-rushing home goalkeeper in the 31st minute.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 4 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 5 Stolen French bulldog reunited with Wisbech owners 160 miles away
- 6 Princes win top food and drink industry award
- 7 Child rapist, 57, behind bars for sexually abusing three children
- 8 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 9 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
Beck then completed the turnaround when striking again midway through the second half. He took his goal tally for the season to 32 with a close-range finish after being picked out by Billy Smith, who forced a mistake from a home defender.
Only some fine work from the Whitworth goalkeeper prevented Wisbech from winning by a greater margin.
Wisbech remain third in the Premier Division. They are three points behind leaders Yaxley, but have two games in hand.