Nine missing players forces injury-hit Wisbech Town to cancel Holbeach United friendly
WISBECH Town have been forced to cancel their pre-season friendly with Holbeach United on Saturday with nine players missing through injury and unavailability.
The depleted Fenmen had been set to host Holbeach at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium for their third pre-season friendly. But a string of injuries and absences has left manager Steve Appleby looking to protect the rest of his squad.
Stacy Cartwright (leg) and Neal Spafford (ribs) picked up injuries during Wisbech’s 3-2 derby defeat to March on Tuesday night.
Darren Jimson has a knee injury while newly-signed striker Nick Davey is away on holiday. Five other players are also unavailable.
Appleby said: “I can’t risk losing any more players at the moment so I thought it would be in our interest to be sensible at this stage.”
You may also want to watch:
A replacement friendly, against Pinchbeck United, has been added to the Fenmen’s pre-season schedule for July 30.
• A full report on the club’s fans forum - held last night - to follow.
- 1 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 2 Tories retain two Wisbech seats for county council
- 3 Man on the run after stealing e-scooter from child
- 4 Two charged with Wisbech murder
- 5 Suspected drug dealers arrested in Wisbech raid
- 6 Election 2021: Wisbech West tops poll for lowest turnout
- 7 Tories retain Octavia Hill ward in by election
- 8 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 9 Three derelict cottages sell in auction for £122,000
- 10 Arsonists strike again by setting fire to tyres