Nine missing players forces injury-hit Wisbech Town to cancel Holbeach United friendly
WISBECH Town have been forced to cancel their pre-season friendly with Holbeach United on Saturday with nine players missing through injury and unavailability.
The depleted Fenmen had been set to host Holbeach at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium for their third pre-season friendly. But a string of injuries and absences has left manager Steve Appleby looking to protect the rest of his squad.
Stacy Cartwright (leg) and Neal Spafford (ribs) picked up injuries during Wisbech’s 3-2 derby defeat to March on Tuesday night.
Darren Jimson has a knee injury while newly-signed striker Nick Davey is away on holiday. Five other players are also unavailable.
Appleby said: “I can’t risk losing any more players at the moment so I thought it would be in our interest to be sensible at this stage.”
A replacement friendly, against Pinchbeck United, has been added to the Fenmen’s pre-season schedule for July 30.
• A full report on the club’s fans forum - held last night - to follow.
- 1 'Wide range of people' will benefit from village homes, say developers
- 2 Woman in court over town pub burglary
- 3 Leslie transforms his life thanks to remarkable weight loss
- 4 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 5 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 6 Four charged with modern slavery crimes on one woman
- 7 Princess Eugenie on mission to stop modern slavery
- 8 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 9 Princess hears first hand account of modern slavery
- 10 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights