Nine missing players forces injury-hit Wisbech Town to cancel Holbeach United friendly
WISBECH Town have been forced to cancel their pre-season friendly with Holbeach United on Saturday with nine players missing through injury and unavailability.
The depleted Fenmen had been set to host Holbeach at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium for their third pre-season friendly. But a string of injuries and absences has left manager Steve Appleby looking to protect the rest of his squad.
Stacy Cartwright (leg) and Neal Spafford (ribs) picked up injuries during Wisbech’s 3-2 derby defeat to March on Tuesday night.
Darren Jimson has a knee injury while newly-signed striker Nick Davey is away on holiday. Five other players are also unavailable.
Appleby said: “I can’t risk losing any more players at the moment so I thought it would be in our interest to be sensible at this stage.”
You may also want to watch:
A replacement friendly, against Pinchbeck United, has been added to the Fenmen’s pre-season schedule for July 30.
• A full report on the club’s fans forum - held last night - to follow.
- 1 Missing dog found thanks to drone footage
- 2 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 3 HMO plans submitted for village pub
- 4 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 5 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 6 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 7 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 8 Burnouts, revving engines and upset shoppers lead to dispersal order
- 9 Mayor to walk in high heels at sponsored walk
- 10 Five generations of family members meet up for the first time