Netminder re-signs for Peterborough Islanders
WISBECH-based ice hockey netminder Rob McGregor has re-signed for the Peterborough Islanders.
McGregor, now in his second year with the team, will battle the experienced Simon Wren for the number one jersey.
The netminder said: “I’m delighted to be back. Last year was tough but I think we’re all a little bit stronger for the experience and will bounce back a tougher and more determined team.
“Simon’s a great guy and his experience helped me a huge amount last season. I’m very happy to be able to play alongside him again this year.”
The Isles won just one game last campaign and coach Robert Wheatley believes the signings are vital as he builds his squad for the new season.
Wheatley said: “It’s great to have both Simon and Rob on board for the new season. We’re building up a great group of players and both of these guys are a big part of that.
“Rob worked really hard last year and Ross Mackintosh and I have seen a vast improvement in his game. He’s a great team player and is ready to step up when asked. The chance to play alongside Simon for another year will only benefit him as Wren is such an experienced player.”
- 1 Cable fault caused power cut for more than 350 customers in Wisbech
- 2 Man arrested in Wisbech after illegally entering UK three times
- 3 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 4 Man who ran 'fly-tippers paradise’ faces £32,000 bill
- 5 Pupils tell Ofsted school so good they don't want to leave
- 6 Man, 28, and boy, 15, arrested after major A1101 crash in Wisbech
- 7 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 8 Recap: Main road through Wisbech town centre shut after serious crash
- 9 Knife-wielding teen jailed after week-long crime spree in Wisbech
- 10 Platinum Jubilee: The Queen's visits to Cambridgeshire in pictures
The Islanders begin their 2010-11 campaign at the Peterborough Arena on Saturday September 11 (face-off 6.30pm) when they will taken on Romford Fury before travelling to the Isle of Wight the following night to face Vectis Tigers.