Napier and Barfoot enjoy try-feast as Wisbech run riot
SPEED demons James Napier and Joe Barfoot scored hat-tricks as Wisbech Rugby Club romped past struggling Mersea Island on Saturday.
The wingers put on a masterclass of running rugby at Harecroft Road to help their side cruise to a 50-14 victory.
Vice-captain Shane Vickers, who was also in good kicking form, crashed over for two further tries as Wisbech ran riot.
It was the backs who clocked up the points - but manager Cliff Humphreys praised the hosts’ pack for a solid display.
He said: “Our forwards were fitter and faster than the opposition and this gave our backs the space to show their class.”
You may also want to watch:
The win leaves Wisbech second in Greene King Eastern Counties Division One, four points behind title rivals Cantabrigian. They travel to Crusaders on Saturday.
• WISBECH II powered into the semi-finals of the Cambridgeshire County Cup with an 8-3 win over Cantabs II.
- 1 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 2 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 3 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 4 Town rallies in fight for new hospital
- 5 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 6 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 7 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 8 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 9 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 10 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
Sam Anderson’s long-range penalty put Wisbech in front before a try from Brian Alabaster extended their lead.
Cantabs converted their own penalty in the second half, but clever kicking from scrum half Jack Malkin and a man-of-the-match performance from Nick Thompsett helped Wisbech home.
The second team will face Cambridge Exiles in the semi-final.