Napier and Barfoot enjoy try-feast as Wisbech run riot
SPEED demons James Napier and Joe Barfoot scored hat-tricks as Wisbech Rugby Club romped past struggling Mersea Island on Saturday.
The wingers put on a masterclass of running rugby at Harecroft Road to help their side cruise to a 50-14 victory.
Vice-captain Shane Vickers, who was also in good kicking form, crashed over for two further tries as Wisbech ran riot.
It was the backs who clocked up the points - but manager Cliff Humphreys praised the hosts’ pack for a solid display.
He said: “Our forwards were fitter and faster than the opposition and this gave our backs the space to show their class.”
You may also want to watch:
The win leaves Wisbech second in Greene King Eastern Counties Division One, four points behind title rivals Cantabrigian. They travel to Crusaders on Saturday.
• WISBECH II powered into the semi-finals of the Cambridgeshire County Cup with an 8-3 win over Cantabs II.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 So that's settled - Government not council will fund new school
- 3 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 4 Emporium takes business to next level
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 Family friends to cycle from Wales to Wisbech to create more happy memories
- 7 New era begins at table tennis club rescued from the brink
- 8 Author reflects on reasons behind 'The Chapel of Ease'
- 9 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 10 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
Sam Anderson’s long-range penalty put Wisbech in front before a try from Brian Alabaster extended their lead.
Cantabs converted their own penalty in the second half, but clever kicking from scrum half Jack Malkin and a man-of-the-match performance from Nick Thompsett helped Wisbech home.
The second team will face Cambridge Exiles in the semi-final.