Murphy to play for Yaxley after Wisbech Town boss Appleby agrees ‘one-game’ deal
TEENAGER Sam Murphy will play for Yaxley tomorrow after Wisbech Town boss Steve Appleby agreed a one-game deal with the United Counties League outfit.
Murphy, 19, is expected to start Yaxley’s UCL game at AFC Kempston, while his Fenmen team-mates entertain Gorleston in a Ridgeons Premier Division clash.
Appleby said: “Sam will hopefully be playing 90 minutes tomorrow as we’ve got no reserve game.
“I need all of our players to get game time in with a view for being ready for next weekend’s FA Vase game against Dunston UTS. It’s just a one-game deal.”
The talented midfielder is the third Fenmen player to temporarily link up with the club’s former assistant manager Darren Edey at Yaxley this season.
He follows Ollie Gale and Nick Davey in agreeing short-term arrangements to gain match fitness with the Peterborough-based side.
Both have since returned to the Fenmen first team with striker Davey scoring in each of the club’s last three matches.
- 1 Arsonist started fire in Wisbech care home
- 2 Council calls for return to mask wearing as Covid soars
- 3 Elderly man scares off would-be burglar
- 4 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
- 5 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 6 Steve Barclay becomes Health Secretary following shock resignations
- 7 Smiles return as bridge re-painting comes to an end
- 8 Armed police swoop on youngsters brandishing suspected hand gun
- 9 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 10 Crews tackle blaze in Wisbech
Murphy has made a handful of appearances for the Fenmen’s first team this season after breaking through from the club’s reserve team.
He could replace Callum Reed, who will miss the fourth-round Vase clash with Dunston through suspension, in next weekend’s squad.