Michael’s riding into New Year
VETERAN motocross rider Michael Curtis will be seeing in the New Year by riding as many laps as possible around a Fenland dirt track. Mr Curtis, 58, from Walpole Cross Keys, will be riding for six hours around the Eastrax circuit, at nearby Walpole St And
VETERAN motocross rider Michael Curtis will be seeing in the New Year by riding as many laps as possible around a Fenland dirt track.
Mr Curtis, 58, from Walpole Cross Keys, will be riding for six hours around the Eastrax circuit, at nearby Walpole St Andrew.
He will be on board a 1967 BSA Metisse 500cc motorcycle and will be watched by the King's Lynn section of the Vintage Motorcycle Club, of which he is a member.
Mr Curtis said: "I have got two bikes and what we plan to do is fire one up every 35 minutes and, when the second is low on fuel, swap bikes."
You may also want to watch:
Proceeds from the ride will be going towards two charities, Macmillan Cancer Support and Samaritans emotional support charity.
Mr Curtis said: "This will help generate extra funds for the two worthy charities I am trying to help.
- 1 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits
- 2 Updates as emergency services rush to major crash blocking B1101
- 3 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
- 4 Serious crash blocks main road into Fen town
- 5 Home next to disused railway bridge gets the go-ahead
- 6 Man in his 20 dies at West Norfolk park
- 7 Breast cancer survivor on why weight loss 'saved my life'
- 8 Man jailed for sexual relationship with schoolgirl
- 9 Fifty jobs up for grabs as Deliveroo announces early move into Wisbech
- 10 On hottest day of the year hospital 'put me in a store room for over two hours'
"I have already raised £864 and Vintage Motorcycle Club members are going to have a table and a bucket for people to donate some more money."
A former student of the Queen's School, Wisbech, Mr Curtis has been riding motorcycles for the past 38 years.
He competes in motocross championships around Europe, covering between 6,000 and 8,000 miles each year. His CV includes winning the Normandy Motocross Championships in 2000.
Mr Curtis also runs two companies under the name M E Curtis, one a plant hire and haulage company, and the other a historic building restoration company. Both are based in Walpole Cross Keys.
- Mr Curtis will be riding on New Year's Day between 10am-4pm. To sponsor, write a cheque payable to Michael Curtis and send to 23 Station Road North, Walpole Cross Keys, King's Lynn, Norfolk, PE34 4MB. Alternatively, cheques can be dropped into the Wisbech Standard office, in Wisbech Market Place.