Medal haul for martial artists
TAEKWON-DO students from Wisbech won a haul of medals at the Norfolk Open Championships. Competing against students from across the region, Dominic Marcinkevicious, and Stuart Murat dominated the 13 to 17 year class with a gold and silver medal each. St
TAEKWON-DO students from Wisbech won a haul of medals at the Norfolk Open Championships.
Competing against students from across the region, Dominic Marcinkevicious, and Stuart Murat dominated the 13 to 17 year class with a gold and silver medal each. Stuart took the gold in the patterns, displaying a dazzling level of skill, co-ordination and discipline to perform perfectly for the judges, with Dominic taking silver.
Then in a fast and furious final Dominic pipped Stuart on the points to take the gold medal for sparring, leaving Stuart to console himself with the silver.
Stuart said: "We each had several hard fights in the sparring, and Dominic deserved to win but next year he'd better watch out."
Dominic was equally determined to improve his patterns.
He said: "Stuart was head and shoulders better that the rest of us - but I will be practicing till I drop to improve so I can challenge him again."
- 1 Police 'increasingly concerned' for man missing since early hours yesterday
- 2 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
- 3 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 4 Andre Rieu brings new summer concert to Cambridgeshire cinemas
- 5 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 6 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 7 NHS staff praised for ‘virtually eliminating’ long waiting times
- 8 Driver cleared by reason of insanity over death of Louis Thorold
- 9 Arson causes fire to rip through derelict building
- 10 Painter who captured town before 1978 floods finishes 44 years on
Black Belt Paul Gowler won bronze in the patterns and Josh Green took a bronze in the sparring for the under-13s.
Seven-year-old Jade Griffiths won gold in the Teenies sparring competition with a remarkable display full of both discipline and classic Taekwon-do.
All students are members of the Carter School of Taekwon-do where they are trained by international instructor and examiner Anthony Carter, who has been teaching Taekwon-do in Wisbech for 21 years and recently earned his fifth Dan.
He said: "It was a fantastic result for our club to come away with so many medals and they've done magnificently. Hopefully these students will inspire others to take part in competitions."
The school trains at the Hudson Sports and Leisure Centre on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays between 6-7pm and the first lesson is free.