Medal haul for martial artists
TAEKWON-DO students from Wisbech won a haul of medals at the Norfolk Open Championships. Competing against students from across the region, Dominic Marcinkevicious, and Stuart Murat dominated the 13 to 17 year class with a gold and silver medal each. St
TAEKWON-DO students from Wisbech won a haul of medals at the Norfolk Open Championships.
Competing against students from across the region, Dominic Marcinkevicious, and Stuart Murat dominated the 13 to 17 year class with a gold and silver medal each. Stuart took the gold in the patterns, displaying a dazzling level of skill, co-ordination and discipline to perform perfectly for the judges, with Dominic taking silver.
Then in a fast and furious final Dominic pipped Stuart on the points to take the gold medal for sparring, leaving Stuart to console himself with the silver.
Stuart said: "We each had several hard fights in the sparring, and Dominic deserved to win but next year he'd better watch out."
You may also want to watch:
Dominic was equally determined to improve his patterns.
He said: "Stuart was head and shoulders better that the rest of us - but I will be practicing till I drop to improve so I can challenge him again."
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 5 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 6 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 7 Take 10 initiative leaves students ‘buzzing’ about literacy
- 8 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 9 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 10 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
Black Belt Paul Gowler won bronze in the patterns and Josh Green took a bronze in the sparring for the under-13s.
Seven-year-old Jade Griffiths won gold in the Teenies sparring competition with a remarkable display full of both discipline and classic Taekwon-do.
All students are members of the Carter School of Taekwon-do where they are trained by international instructor and examiner Anthony Carter, who has been teaching Taekwon-do in Wisbech for 21 years and recently earned his fifth Dan.
He said: "It was a fantastic result for our club to come away with so many medals and they've done magnificently. Hopefully these students will inspire others to take part in competitions."
The school trains at the Hudson Sports and Leisure Centre on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays between 6-7pm and the first lesson is free.