Match report: Wisbech Town win league cup to end 16-year wait for silverware

Ridgeons League Challenge Cup Final: Wisbech Town 1 Wroxham 0

ONE swing of Callum Reed’s right boot ended 16 years of waiting for Wisbech Town’s loyal supporters on Monday.

Reed’s first-half penalty, after Darren Jimson had been hauled to the ground, was enough to clinch the Fenmen’s first silverware for more than a decade.

However, Steve Appleby’s side needed to defend heroically for large parts of the second half to secure the win.

Wroxham could have taken the lead in the seventh minute but Ben Thompson hit the bar from point-black range, his blushes saved only by an offside flag.

Wisbech remained the better side for the rest of the half with Reed ripping the Yachtsmen’s left-back Shaun Howes to shreds time and time again.

Windy conditions did little to help a frenetic affair as Ash Stevens and Darren Jimson came close to putting Wisbech 2-0 ahead.

Most Read

Wroxham’s diminutive number 10 Gary Gilmore – crowned man of the match – looked dangerous and tested Wisbech ‘keeper Lea Jordan just before the interval with a well-hit half volley which the shot-stopper did well to see, let alone save.

The Yachtsmen – who hadn’t lost to Wisbech in three previous meetings this season – threw the kitchen sink at the Fenmen in a 10-minute spell in the second half.

Appleby’s men defended bravely but Steve Jordan and Graham Challen wasted chances to equalize before Andy Eastaugh struck a post with a header.

Jordan then saved fantastically from Damian Hilton, whose volley on the turn looked destined for the bottom corner.

From that point on Wisbech – spurred on by the energetic Lewis Thompson – looked to have weathered the storm. Thomspon went close, as did Scott Johnson and Paul Jones, but Wisbech were unable to kill the game off.

After seven nerve-jangling minutes of injury time the side’s heroic effort - led by their inspirational captain Paul Cousins - got its rewards for a true team performance.