Marshland’s young basketball stars net place in next round of National Schools competition
- Credit: Archant
Marshland High School’s year 9 basketball team are celebrating after they secured their place in the next round of the National Schools championships.
The team played three games on Monday January 18, with their third and final tie of the evening against KES on Monday January 18.
The two teams entered the clash with one win each under their belts, with both knowing that they need a win to progress.
The game started well for Marshland, who quickly opened up an eight-point lead after the first quarter. The second quarter was an even affair, with KES coming back into the game, but Marshland’s strong start took the half score to 32-24 to the Wisbech side.
At the start of the third quarter, Marshland began to dominate and scored an impressive eight unanswered points, taking their lead to 16 points.
You may also want to watch:
In the final quarter, KES began to put up a fight, matching Marshland’s tally of 12 points, but Marshland’s earlier dominance meant they ran out 60-44 and took their place in the next round.
Players of the match went to Donatas Verikas, Jack Lane and Lewis Theobald.
- 1 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 2 Tory jubilation short-lived in Fenland as they lose control of county council
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 4 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
- 5 Prison sentence for man who brutally attacked his partner
- 6 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 7 Food delivery service Deliveroo launches in ‘next couple of months’
- 8 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 9 Suspected drug dealers arrested in Wisbech raid
- 10 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
Donatas, playing a year above his age group, scored 22 points, and defended superbly, working with Jack Lane to double team KES’s best player who ended up with well over 100 points in the three games.
Marshland’s captain, Jack Lane, scored 10 points and Lewis Theobald scored 18 points.
The triumphant youngsters now go onto the next round of the National Schools competiton to face the Norwich champions Notre Dame - a team Marshland beat last season at the County finals.