Hares shine in soaring heat to raise charity cash
- Credit: Steve Hone
Soaring temperatures did not stop March Town Ladies from helping to raise charity cash in their annual cup competition.
The Hares played Brampton Ladies in the Brian Lake Memorial Cup on September 5, raising funds for Cancer Research UK amid the stifling heat.
Brampton took a seventh-minute lead with a neat chipped effort, before March were sparked into action.
Full-back Ellie Godley teed up Adele Munday for the equaliser after forcing the goalkeeper into saves, before Hares ‘keeper Peggy Thurlby stopped with her feet at the other end.
A lively start to the second half saw Eleanor McLeish set up Abby Grist, who knocked in a rebound after her initial shot was denied.
The same combination led to a third for the Hares when McLeish’s pass found the run of Grist to score from close-range.
March gave a debut to 16-year-old Cassie Houghton while Sydney Davis played her first match in 10 months.
- 1 Bomb scare was a 'hoax' say police
- 2 Villagers team up to honour 'a real character'
- 3 Sex offender caught with 76 of most serious child abuse photos
- 4 Jail for paedophile who booked hotel to abuse three children
- 5 Body found in Wisbech road
- 6 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 7 Community group to review case of missing Terry McSpadden
- 8 Hunt is on to find stags that escaped from farm
- 9 100mph, 20-minute police pursuit ends with a crash – and later with jail
- 10 ‘Enough is enough’ says MP at the scene of drink drive crash
Manager Gary Davis said: “The main thing was raising money and over £150 will go to charity.
“Player of the match was Tahleya Roncari, who was excellent in midfield.”