Double hat-tricks fire Hares to opening day rout
- Credit: Steve Hone
Two players scored at least three times to fire March Town Ladies towards an opening day rout in the Cambridgeshire Women’s County League.
The Hares opened their Division One campaign on Sunday with a 9-1 hammering of Histon Ladies, who notched a first-half opener at the GER.
Abby Grist replied with a shot into the far corner, before Eleanor Mcleish dispatched a chance coolly to give March the lead.
McLeish added her second before half-time as Gary Davis’ side ramped up the pressure soon after the interval.
After Grist beat the goalkeeper one on one, McLeish sealed her hat-trick from close range.
Grist also secured a treble then her fourth with the outside of her boot.
Another player to impress for March was 16-year-old Cassie Houghton, who scored twice late on including a powerful strike.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 'We will improve' believes new Wisbech St Mary boss after opening defeat
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Child rapist, 57, behind bars for sexually abusing three children
- 5 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 6 Princes win top food and drink industry award
- 7 Stolen French bulldog reunited with Wisbech owners 160 miles away
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 Man dies in three-car A47 crash and another remains in life-threatening condition
The Hares are away at Cardea Ladies, who have won once and lost twice in the league so far, this Sunday, 2pm.