Battling Bears record hard-fought opening day win
- Credit: March Bears Rugby Club
March Bears kicked off their Eastern Counties Division Two West season with a hard-fought 17-7 win on Saturday.
Bears fielded a strong squad for the visit of St Neots 2nds to Elm Road, and the hosts’ expansive game was hampered by poor weather in the first half.
But after opening the scoring after a run-in from 60 metres, March then continued to dominate the scrum.
It was St Neots, though, who levelled on 37 minutes after being awarded a five-metre penalty which they scored, before converting afterwards.
March drove the opposition further down the pitch and one of these mauls was pulled down illegally by St Neots.
This was pounced upon by the Bears, who after scoring the resulting penalty, went on to control proceedings.
The match ball was presented by main shirt sponsor John Savage of Savage Haulage Ltd and the club would like to thank supporters who turned out to watch.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 5 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 6 Watches and electric display box stolen in village burglary
- 7 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 8 Take 10 initiative leaves students ‘buzzing’ about literacy
- 9 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 10 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
March visit Wisbech 2nds in a league clash on October 16, 3pm.