Bears triumph over Tigers in entertaining local derby
- Credit: March Bears Rugby Club
March Bears put in a performance to be proud of as they prevailed over local rivals in Eastern Counties Division Two West.
After Ely Tigers' Development side suffered an injury setback inside five minutes, March capitalised when Adam Munro crossed to take a 7-0 lead at Elm Road.
Lee Kupyn was soon sin-binned for a high tackle, but this didn’t faze the Bears as Dan Ryan’s diagonal cross-field run ended with a try.
Kupyn then made amends with a try of his own, and was close to scoring again soon before half-time.
Ely replied with a 47th-minute try, before Scott Conway showed individual skill and power to extend March’s lead to 24-5.
Munro pounced on a kick seven minutes later to cross over, with the try converted.
Ely did salvage a consolation when they were awarded a penalty try underneath the posts when March were adjudged to have twice deliberately taken the scrum down near their own line.
- 1 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 2 'Wide range of people' will benefit from village homes, say developers
- 3 Robber attempts to steal scratch card and alcohol from convenience store
- 4 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 5 Veteran turns life around thanks to support from forces charity
- 6 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 7 Cambridgeshire's Enhanced Area Status extended amid Covid surge in schools
- 8 Four charged with modern slavery crimes on one woman
- 9 Motorbike set on fire in arson attack
- 10 Princess hears first hand account of modern slavery
But that could not stop the Bears from recording a 31-12 victory.