Depleted Bears fight back to earn friendly victory
- Credit: March Bears Rugby Club
A depleted squad failed to dampen March Bears after they cruised to weekend victory.
Opponents Thorney scored three tries to go 19-0 up on Saturday, before March, who were missing nine regular players, replied with a try of their own.
But first-half dominance paid for as the visitors clawed back to 19-10 having been unfazed from an earlier mistake near the posts.
That momentum continued into the second half as two tries made it 22-19 in favour of the Bears, before the hosts replied once more to retake the lead.
However, four more tries in the space of 20 minutes proved pivotal to help put March into the ascendancy towards a 44-26 victory.
It was a team mixed with experience with youth which triumphed, despite recording a 25 per cent conversion rate during the match.
March begin their Eastern Counties Division Two West campaign against St Neots 2nds at Elm Road on Saturday, October 2, 3pm.
- 1 'We will improve' believes new Wisbech St Mary boss after opening defeat
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Child rapist, 57, behind bars for sexually abusing three children
- 5 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 6 Princes win top food and drink industry award
- 7 Stolen French bulldog reunited with Wisbech owners 160 miles away
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 Man dies in three-car A47 crash and another remains in life-threatening condition