Losing start for Wisbech Cricket Club
WISBECH Town Cricket Club suffered two defeats in their first action of the season on Sunday. The firsts lost by 40 runs at Oundle in the Rutland Division One and the seconds lost a friendly at Stow by 92 runs. Adam Hodgoson was the first team s star bowl
WISBECH Town Cricket Club suffered two defeats in their first action of the season on Sunday.
The firsts lost by 40 runs at Oundle in the Rutland Division One and the seconds lost a friendly at Stow by 92 runs.
Adam Hodgoson was the first team's star bowler with 4-40 as Oundle scored 202-9 and Tom Coates was Wisbech's chief run-maker with 42 as the side scored 162 all out.
Wisbech captain Gary Freear said: "It was a typical first game of the season for us and we looked a bit rusty, but there were a few positives to take from the game.
"We've been training well in the nets for a few weeks now and we're confident of a good season ahead."
Kieran Hayes bowled 3-32 for the second team as Stow reached 189-9 and Paul Strikle was Wisbech's top run-maker with 44.
- 1 ‘Thank you, my NHS, you were simply amazing’
- 2 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 3 Wisbech family discover 'ultimate side hustle'
- 4 Crews tackle blaze in Wisbech
- 5 Woman who twice ignored 'no fly tipping' signs faces two fines
- 6 Clarion Housing ‘cyber incident’ affects thousands of tenants
- 7 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 8 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
- 9 Man jealous of ex-wife's new relationship burnt down house
- 10 Recap: Air ambulance attends A47 crash near Wisbech
Freear bounced back on Monday with a 104 as Wisbech lost a friendly with Downham Market.
Town opened with 205-6 but the visitors replied with 206-5 to take victory.
Wisbech played their annual friendly with the MCC on Wednesday and Thursday this week.
For pictures and a match report see our website and next week's paper.