Losing start for Wisbech Cricket Club
WISBECH Town Cricket Club suffered two defeats in their first action of the season on Sunday. The firsts lost by 40 runs at Oundle in the Rutland Division One and the seconds lost a friendly at Stow by 92 runs. Adam Hodgoson was the first team s star bowl
WISBECH Town Cricket Club suffered two defeats in their first action of the season on Sunday.
The firsts lost by 40 runs at Oundle in the Rutland Division One and the seconds lost a friendly at Stow by 92 runs.
Adam Hodgoson was the first team's star bowler with 4-40 as Oundle scored 202-9 and Tom Coates was Wisbech's chief run-maker with 42 as the side scored 162 all out.
Wisbech captain Gary Freear said: "It was a typical first game of the season for us and we looked a bit rusty, but there were a few positives to take from the game.
You may also want to watch:
"We've been training well in the nets for a few weeks now and we're confident of a good season ahead."
Kieran Hayes bowled 3-32 for the second team as Stow reached 189-9 and Paul Strikle was Wisbech's top run-maker with 44.
- 1 Bomb scare was a 'hoax' say police
- 2 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 3 Body found in Wisbech road
- 4 Villagers team up to honour 'a real character'
- 5 Jail for paedophile who booked hotel to abuse three children
- 6 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 7 Police warn you may run but you can't hide from us
- 8 100mph, 20-minute police pursuit ends with a crash – and later with jail
- 9 Latest phase of Wisbech to Upwell Tram Memorial unveiled
- 10 It's a family affair as planners consider five luxury homes
Freear bounced back on Monday with a 104 as Wisbech lost a friendly with Downham Market.
Town opened with 205-6 but the visitors replied with 206-5 to take victory.
Wisbech played their annual friendly with the MCC on Wednesday and Thursday this week.
For pictures and a match report see our website and next week's paper.