NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Wisbech Town captain is wanted by Division One East rivals
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town were fighting to keep hold of their captain this week.
Defender Jon Fairweather is wanted by fellow Northern Premier League Division One East strugglers Spalding United.
“We’ve had an approach come in from Spalding and they have offered double the money we can give him,” said Wisbech boss Gary Setchell.
“Hopefully he doesn’t go, but it shows that we can’t compete financially with other clubs in this league.
“A lot of our lads are spending most of their wages on petrol now we’re training twice a week. That shows how determined we are to stay at this level and how committed the players are to the club.”
You may also want to watch:
Fairweather is a Fenmen stalwart after joining the club almost eight-and-a-half years ago. He has only had a two-month spell away – at Spalding – in that time.
Another defender, Nick Jackson, has left the club. He has joined United Counties League Premier Division side Pinchbeck after arriving at Wisbech from Holbeach earlier in the season.
- 1 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 2 Burger entrepreneur excited to reopen as lockdown eases on May 17
- 3 Prison sentence for man who brutally attacked his partner
- 4 'Disbelief’ for disability centre after staff member’s scooter is stolen
- 5 MP Steve Barclay visits £14m A47 Guyhirn roundabout upgrade works
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 7 ‘This is not a puppy farm’ says breeder in response to planning objections
- 8 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
- 9 Class B drug factory discovered following British Gas search warrant
- 10 Defeated Tory hits out at ‘toxic brand’ and says ‘James Palmer had it coming’