LOCAL FOOTBALL: Guyhirn upset the odds to lift John Ablett Cup
- Credit: Archant
Guyhirn caused a Cambs League upset last night by lifting the John Ablett Cup.
The local lads beat Tuddenham 08 - who sit at the top of the division above them - 2-0 at Ely City’s Unwin Ground.
Guyhirn took the lead after half an hour through Danny Cassidy’s header, before John Rose rounded their cup success off with a strike in the second half.
The Mead Plant & Grab outfit will now turn their attentions back to the league and their top-four clash with Fordham Reserves tomorrow afternoon.
Guyhirn currently sit in second in the league standings, eight points behind league-toppers Wisbech St Mary C.
Fordham trail them by four points.
- 1 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 2 Crowds watch as Wisbech lights up for Christmas
- 3 Princess Eugenie comes to town in bid to tackle modern slavery
- 4 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 5 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
- 6 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 7 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 8 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
- 9 Wayne officially opens doors to DOORBRITE showroom
- 10 Family's tribute to 'much-loved' and 'fun-loving' A1198 crash victim