LK Tennis Academy’s Sophie stars for the county at national tournament
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech tennis starlet Sophie Tjurina continued her rise to stardom in the sport by being selected to represent Cambridgeshire at a national tournament.
Sophie, who plays for LK Tennis Club, was one of three youngsters picked to compete for the county’s under 10 side at the Lionel Cox Inter- County Tournament in Hertfordshire.
She joined fellow prospects Marennah Prempeh and Gabriella Zailer-Fletcher to ease to wins against Bedfordshire and Norfolk, before dispatching Suffolk and Essex the following day.
The trio then faced hosts Hertfordshire in the competition’s final, with Zailer-Fletcher securing a hard-fought win.
Gabriella’s victory proved to be the highlight of the final for Cambridgeshire as Sophie and Marennah fell to defeats, meaning Herts took the trophy and Cambs finished the under 10s section of the tournament in second place.
Overall, 10 counties went head-to-head, with Hertfordshire coming out victorious and Cambridgeshire finishing in a respectable fifth place.
LK Tennis Academy member Lisa Kennedy was also in action and was selected as the female county captain.
- 1 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 2 Crowds watch as Wisbech lights up for Christmas
- 3 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 4 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 5 New £566k convenience store opens creating 12 jobs
- 6 Council’s final meeting of 2021 to include minute’s silence for those lost
- 7 Auditor who fell ill on eve of farmgate report not returning to council
- 8 Family's tribute to 'much-loved' and 'fun-loving' A1198 crash victim
- 9 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 10 Health chiefs call for action amid rise in sexually transmitted infections
She said: “Congratulations to everyone who came to play and support the Cambridgeshire teams.”