LK Tennis Academy’s Sophie stars for the county at national tournament
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech tennis starlet Sophie Tjurina continued her rise to stardom in the sport by being selected to represent Cambridgeshire at a national tournament.
Sophie, who plays for LK Tennis Club, was one of three youngsters picked to compete for the county’s under 10 side at the Lionel Cox Inter- County Tournament in Hertfordshire.
She joined fellow prospects Marennah Prempeh and Gabriella Zailer-Fletcher to ease to wins against Bedfordshire and Norfolk, before dispatching Suffolk and Essex the following day.
The trio then faced hosts Hertfordshire in the competition’s final, with Zailer-Fletcher securing a hard-fought win.
Gabriella’s victory proved to be the highlight of the final for Cambridgeshire as Sophie and Marennah fell to defeats, meaning Herts took the trophy and Cambs finished the under 10s section of the tournament in second place.
You may also want to watch:
Overall, 10 counties went head-to-head, with Hertfordshire coming out victorious and Cambridgeshire finishing in a respectable fifth place.
LK Tennis Academy member Lisa Kennedy was also in action and was selected as the female county captain.
- 1 Businessman slams council’s coronavirus grants in explosive live rant
- 2 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 3 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 4 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 5 Fleeing heroin dealer rams police car but they get him in the end
- 6 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 7 Hairdressing student is best of 1,000 after winning national competition
- 8 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 9 Fly-tipped sofa second reported incident this week
- 10 'Police repeatedly failed me' over noisy neighbour saga, claims resident
She said: “Congratulations to everyone who came to play and support the Cambridgeshire teams.”