Life’s a beach for the Fenmen as almost 100 tonnes of sand is delivered to Wisbech Town’s Elgoods Fenland Stadium
- Credit: Archant
Almost 100 tonnes of sand has recently been delivered into Wisbech – but the town isn’t going to become the home to a beach any time soon.
The sand is being used to dry out the pitch at Wisbech Town’s Elgoods Fenland Stadium ahead of the start of the Fenmen’s pre-season, which kicks off in July.
90 tonnes of sand was dropped off last week, and 60 has already been spread on the surface in an attempt to prevent it cutting up during the winter months.
A club spokesman said: “We are having someone come in to slice the pitch open next week and he will use a tractor with an attachment to brush the sand into the slits.
“We have had the slitting done before but not the sand part.”
You may also want to watch:
The weight of the sand is equivalent to 55 cars – or 12 elephants.
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 3 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 4 'It could happen to anyone' - girlfriend of drowning victim speaks out
- 5 Fenland Council welcomes Covid-19 compliant free rock festival
- 6 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 7 Replacing pub with houses ‘effective re-use' of site
- 8 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 9 Two drink drivers lose their licences
- 10 300 take part in autonomous shuttle passenger trial