Life’s a beach for the Fenmen as almost 100 tonnes of sand is delivered to Wisbech Town’s Elgoods Fenland Stadium
- Credit: Archant
Almost 100 tonnes of sand has recently been delivered into Wisbech – but the town isn’t going to become the home to a beach any time soon.
The sand is being used to dry out the pitch at Wisbech Town’s Elgoods Fenland Stadium ahead of the start of the Fenmen’s pre-season, which kicks off in July.
90 tonnes of sand was dropped off last week, and 60 has already been spread on the surface in an attempt to prevent it cutting up during the winter months.
A club spokesman said: “We are having someone come in to slice the pitch open next week and he will use a tractor with an attachment to brush the sand into the slits.
“We have had the slitting done before but not the sand part.”
You may also want to watch:
The weight of the sand is equivalent to 55 cars – or 12 elephants.
- 1 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 2 Tories retain two Wisbech seats for county council
- 3 Man on the run after stealing e-scooter from child
- 4 Two charged with Wisbech murder
- 5 Suspected drug dealers arrested in Wisbech raid
- 6 Election 2021: Wisbech West tops poll for lowest turnout
- 7 First wholetime woman firefighter in Cambs retires after 30 years
- 8 Three derelict cottages sell in auction for £122,000
- 9 Tories retain Octavia Hill ward in by election
- 10 New £1.5million Co-op store opens its doors – creating 12 local jobs