Life’s a beach for the Fenmen as almost 100 tonnes of sand is delivered to Wisbech Town’s Elgoods Fenland Stadium
- Credit: Archant
Almost 100 tonnes of sand has recently been delivered into Wisbech – but the town isn’t going to become the home to a beach any time soon.
The sand is being used to dry out the pitch at Wisbech Town’s Elgoods Fenland Stadium ahead of the start of the Fenmen’s pre-season, which kicks off in July.
90 tonnes of sand was dropped off last week, and 60 has already been spread on the surface in an attempt to prevent it cutting up during the winter months.
A club spokesman said: “We are having someone come in to slice the pitch open next week and he will use a tractor with an attachment to brush the sand into the slits.
“We have had the slitting done before but not the sand part.”
You may also want to watch:
The weight of the sand is equivalent to 55 cars – or 12 elephants.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 6 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 7 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 8 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
- 9 'Great improvement' - village pond gets a makeover
- 10 Child rapist, 57, behind bars for sexually abusing three children