Liam Knight becomes UK's best in two disciplines in regional championship success
LIAM Knight reached the top of the tree in two swimming disciplines on his way to five gold medals at the East Region Winter Championships. Fifteen-year-old Knight, of Wisbech, stormed to gold in the 50m Butterfly, 400m Individual Medley, 200m Backstroke
LIAM Knight reached the top of the tree in two swimming disciplines on his way to five gold medals at the East Region Winter Championships.
Fifteen-year-old Knight, of Wisbech, stormed to gold in the 50m Butterfly, 400m Individual Medley, 200m Backstroke, 200m Individual Medley and 100m Backstroke at the championships in Norwich.
His wins in the Butterfly and 400m Individual Medley moved him to the number one position in the national rankings for his age group in both disciplines.
Knight, representing City of Peterborough Swimming Club, won his first three golds on Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
He set a Junior Championship record time of 27.18 seconds in the 50m Butterfly. He then won the 400m Individual Medley in four minutes 40.74 seconds, knocking seven seconds off the championship record.
He also broke the championship record in the 200m Backstroke with a time of two minutes 6.98 seconds.
- 1 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 2 'It could happen to anyone' - girlfriend of drowning victim speaks out
- 3 Replacing pub with houses ‘effective re-use' of site
- 4 Fenland Council welcomes Covid-19 compliant free rock festival
- 5 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 6 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 7 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 8 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 9 Two drink drivers lose their licences
- 10 7 places to avoid the crowds in Cambs this summer
On Sunday Knight won the 200m Individual Medley in two minutes 12.96 seconds and set his fourth championship record with victory in the 100m Backstroke - one minute 0.14 seconds.
Knight also produced solid swims in the 50m Freestyle (26.15 seconds), 200m Butterfly (two minutes 19.06 seconds) and 100m Butterfly (one minute 0.87 seconds).
Knight's swimming coach Ben Negus said: "Liam has matured his race technique and is reaping the benefits of the hard work he has put into his training."
Knight has now been chosen by the ASA National Talent team to join the East Region Beacon programme. It provides top quality training, nutritional and physiotherapy support for talented swimmers on a pathway to international success.