Injury-hit Leverington stung by rampant league leaders
- Credit: Narice Gutteridge
A patched-up Leverington Ladies failed to extend their three-game unbeaten league run against their rampant hosts at the weekend.
Despite a solid start, Euan Simpson’s side could not contain leaders Cambridge University Women in their 5-0 defeat on May 9, leaving them sixth in the Cambridgeshire Women’s County League Premier Division.
Leverington, who drew a six-goal thriller with Whittlesey Athletic Ladies last Wednesday, weathered the early storm but having suffered an early injury blow, Cambridge took advantage and never looked back.
A goal shortly after the halt in play led to a second before half-time, and that left Leverington feeling hopeful they could salvage something from the game.
But it was the hosts who grabbed the third goal of the contest, before a late penalty and free-kick ensured their status as title favourites.
You may also want to watch:
Leverington will look to make it a Fenland derby double over March Town Ladies on Sunday, May 16, 2pm.
- 1 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 2 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 3 Inquest opens into death of labourer, 20, who drowned
- 4 Antiques dealer's collection to be sold at auction
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 7 So that's settled - Government not council will fund new school
- 8 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 9 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 10 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation