‘Let’s put a blot on their perfect season’ - Wisbech skipper Long rallies troops for Cantabs showdown
FIRED-UP captain Tom Long has called for Wisbech Rugby Club to win their “game of the season” tomorrow and end rivals Cantabrigian’s 100 per cent record.
Second-placed Wisbech, who now look like they will need to win an end of season play-off against an Essex side to gain promotion, welcome table-topping Cantabs in a crunch Greene King Eastern Counties Division One clash (3pm).
A win in their final league game of the season would not only wreck their visitors’ phenomenal record but ensure that Wisbech end the campaign with a huge achievement of their own - namely winning every game at home.
Long said: “We’ve got a point to prove. Everybody wants to win in what is the game of the season.
“It would be nice to beat them as the only side that has gone up from this league in recent years, with a 100pc record, is us. It would be lovely to take that accolade away from them.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s difficult to go a campaign without losing and we want to put a blot on their perfect season.
“We’re always confident at home and we get great support at Harecroft Road. We’ve had a proud record here for a couple of seasons now and we want to continue that.
- 1 'Numerous cars' in roundabout crash
- 2 Police share images of Wisbech cannabis factory
- 3 Recycling firm goes bust ahead of £55,000 court fines and costs
- 4 Man hails social media after finding stolen dumper in under 48 hours
- 5 ‘I’m tired of being fobbed off’ says customer of Wisbech builder
- 6 Grandmother crochets 'worry worms' for children to find
- 7 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits
- 8 Spotted in Ely founder Mark Cooney dies
- 9 Plans for multi-million pound training school given green light
- 10 Norfolk has no Covid patients in hospital for first time since August
“It’s looking like we will have to win a play-off match to get promotion so we need to keep our momentum going and give ourselves a chance of winning the title if Cantabs slip up.”
Cantabs - managed by former Wisbech coach Steve Drawbridge - beat Ben McCall’s Harecroft Road outfit 12-6 in December.
Graham Saunders, Tom Martell and Will Pettit are available for Wisbech again but Andy Heighton, sent off during Saturday’s 21-12 win at Crusaders, will miss out through suspension.