Ladies prepare for second lockdown with six-goal display
- Credit: Archant
Leverington Ladies prepared for an enforced break in the best possible way with a six-goal display.
The local side triumphed 6-3 over Fulbourn Institute Bluebirds to go third in the Cambridgeshire Women’s County League Premier Division on Sunday, their final game before the coronavirus lockdown.
Leverington started well and opened the scoring when Chloe Stanborough twisted and turned away from two players before unleashing a 25-yard shot into the roof of the net.
After a scare before half-time, Stanborough doubled the lead on 55 minutes, but Fulbourn halved the deficit with a towering header.
In-form Stanborough sealed her hat-trick moments later, as Amy Newell got on the scoresheet when she latched onto a Chelsea King cross.
You may also want to watch:
Fulbourn then made it 4-2, but they had to admire a touch of class from their hosts.
Sophie Swinden tricked and teased two defenders, before some impressive skill allowed her to lift the ball over the defence for Stanborough to smash home a fifth.
- 1 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 2 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 3 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 4 'Disbelief’ for disability centre after staff member’s scooter is stolen
- 5 Man suspected to have stolen '£300-400' of alcohol in store theft
- 6 Suspected drink lorry driver threw whiskey and wine bottle from cab
- 7 Class B drug factory discovered following British Gas search warrant
- 8 Commuter chaos as van blaze causes miles of congestion
- 9 'Unreasonable behaviour' means Steve must pay council's costs of failed appeal
- 10 Hairdressing student is best of 1,000 after winning national competition
The visitors grabbed another consolation, before Swinden tucked away the resulting penalty after being upended.
Leverington are due to face Netherton United Ladies in their next league game on Sunday, December 6, 2pm.