Leverington Ladies slip to first league defeat of season after late winner
- Credit: Archant
A late winner proved pivotal as Leverington Ladies fell to a first defeat of the Cambridgeshire Women’s County League Premier Division season on Sunday.
Euan Simpson’s team lost 2-1 at home to St Ives Town Ladies Development, having fought back from a half-time deficit.
It was the visitors who settled best in the opening stages, before Leverington gained a foothold in the match and tested the goalkeeper on a couple of occasions.
But after a well-worked goal handed St Ives a half-time lead, the hosts pressed their opponents deep inside their own half, as well as creating numerous chances.
Sophie Swinden hauled Leverington level after finishing a Chloe Stanborough pass, before St Ives, perhaps against the run of play, grabbed the decisive goal and held on amid a frantic ending.
You may also want to watch:
Leverington travel to Whittlesey Athletic in a league game on Sunday, October 11, 2pm.
- 1 A 42-bedroom hotel with ballroom and set in three acres for sale
- 2 Brother-in-law eyes 400-mile trek in memory of United fan Jamie
- 3 Media 'mischief making' over council investments
- 4 Hickford quits Manor Farm on eve of damning report
- 5 Paedophile exposed himself to mum near school
- 6 Council told in 2019 Chatteris factory would close
- 7 Flooding: 'We’ve probably lost around £10,000'
- 8 Group of children prank call police following ‘several hoax calls’
- 9 Wife leads tributes to 'generous' husband after battle with Covid-19
- 10 Speeding van driver causes mayhem on Fenland road