Leverington Ladies slip to first league defeat of season after late winner
- Credit: Archant
A late winner proved pivotal as Leverington Ladies fell to a first defeat of the Cambridgeshire Women’s County League Premier Division season on Sunday.
Euan Simpson’s team lost 2-1 at home to St Ives Town Ladies Development, having fought back from a half-time deficit.
It was the visitors who settled best in the opening stages, before Leverington gained a foothold in the match and tested the goalkeeper on a couple of occasions.
But after a well-worked goal handed St Ives a half-time lead, the hosts pressed their opponents deep inside their own half, as well as creating numerous chances.
Sophie Swinden hauled Leverington level after finishing a Chloe Stanborough pass, before St Ives, perhaps against the run of play, grabbed the decisive goal and held on amid a frantic ending.
You may also want to watch:
Leverington travel to Whittlesey Athletic in a league game on Sunday, October 11, 2pm.
- 1 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 2 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 3 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 4 'Disbelief’ for disability centre after staff member’s scooter is stolen
- 5 Man suspected to have stolen '£300-400' of alcohol in store theft
- 6 Suspected drink lorry driver threw whiskey and wine bottle from cab
- 7 Class B drug factory discovered following British Gas search warrant
- 8 Commuter chaos as van blaze causes miles of congestion
- 9 'Unreasonable behaviour' means Steve must pay council's costs of failed appeal
- 10 Hairdressing student is best of 1,000 after winning national competition