Karting sensation Russell meets Formula 1 superstar Lewis Hamilton at McLaren factory
KARTING sensation George Russell rubbed shoulders with Formula 1 superstar Lewis Hamilton as he enjoyed part of the prize for his title-winning campaign.
The 12-year-old, from Tydd St Giles, was invited to tour the McLaren factory after clinching the Formula Kart Stars Championship in a season which saw him collect a hat-trick of titles.
He was shown around the team’s museum, state of the art fitness centre, development rooms and their usually top-secret wind tunnel before meeting the racing icon.
The Wisbech Grammar School student was then presented with a Tag Heuer watch and a signed helmet by the former Formula 1 world champion after winning two ‘True Grit’ titles - awarded to the driver who best displays racing spirit.
Russell said: “I loved the trip and learnt so much about the McLaren brand and Lewis.
“I’m now really excited about being surrounded by the best of the best in motorsport at the Autosport Awards in London this weekend.”
- 1 'Wide range of people' will benefit from village homes, say developers
- 2 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 3 Woman in court over town pub burglary
- 4 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 5 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 6 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 7 Princess hears first hand account of modern slavery
- 8 Rachael takes bronze at national hairdressing competition
- 9 Princess Eugenie on mission to stop modern slavery
- 10 Four charged with modern slavery crimes on one woman