Invincible Wisbech Hockey Club’s ladies complete unbeaten league season
THE champagne finally flowed at Wisbech Hockey Club on Saturday as the ladies’ first team completed an unbeaten league season.
The invincible title-winning team thumped Watton 6-2 to make it 22 games without defeat in the East Women’s Hockey League Division One North. Joey Gomm’s hat-trick, captain Natalie Ward’s brace and a goal from Jodi Peggs completed the side’s remarkable achievement.
Ward said: “Even some of our older players were saying they were feeling sick before we started because we were within touching distance of completing a massive achievement.
“It was never a realistic target to go the whole season unbeaten but we’ve done it. I’m so proud of everyone, it’s been a truly unbelievable season.”
The ladies only defeat of their remarkable campaign came in the HA Trophy Quarter-Final when they lost 3-2 at Teign in Devon. Wisbech will now play in the Premier Division next season.
You may also want to watch:
Ward said: “We need to stick together next year because it’s going to be a massive step-up. For now though we can enjoy what we’ve done.
“We’ve been in the men’s shadow for years and this season has been our chance to shine. We’ve loved every minute of it.”
- 1 Fly-tipped sofa second reported incident this week
- 2 'Horrific ordeal' of saleswoman tied up, restrained and sexually assaulted
- 3 Businessman slams council’s coronavirus grants in explosive live rant
- 4 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 5 Boy, 16, found with screwdriver in town park
- 6 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 7 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 8 'I hit brick walls' says guardian fighting for child mental health support
- 9 Opposition sign historic power sharing agreement to seize control of county council
- 10 Murder suspect is victim's son