INLINE SPEED SKATING: Mike McInerney makes it to the podium at six-hour endurance event
- Credit: Archant
Mike McInerney was the main man for the Wisbech Inline Speed Skaters last weekend.
He was the club’s stand-out performer at Gravesend Cyclopark’s six-hour endurance event, recording a time of two minutes and 13 seconds during the race to seal second place overall.
He missed out on grabbing top spot on the podium but just two tenths of a second.
Also in action were Eve McInerney and twin sister, Lucy, Warren Eve, Flynn McGurk and Dylan Taylor, and Masters team members Glen Brown, David Billington, Luke Frary and Graham Freear.
The event – the only six-hour endurance event of the year - started off in a Le Mans style start, with one member from each competing team standing on one side of the track.
You may also want to watch:
They then they had to run across to put their skates on and start the race. The two Wisbech teams decided on a single lap per skater passing a baton as they changed skater. The mile-long silky smooth track proved a challenge for the skaters with a downhill slope leading to a sharp right hand corner then a steep uphill climb to finish the latter half of the lap.
The event saw good clean racing from all competitors with Wisbech finishing in third place for the Juniors and in fourth for the Masters, with the local talents completing a whopping 248 laps of the track between them.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man found dead in March
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 5 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 6 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 7 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 8 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
- 9 'Great improvement' - village pond gets a makeover
- 10 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
The team are due back at Tatem Park in Enfield on Sunday (4) for the next race of the outdoor season and their second visit to the track this year.
Their first proved to be a very successful outing, with the local club scooping a handful of medals.
Heading up their winning weekend was Eve McInerney, who finished in first place in Category 2 and eased to victory in the Senior Ladies 5,000m races in her debut seniors race.
McGurk and Eve also took home more silverware and both Dylan Taylor and seven-year-old Arthur Buckler claimed silver medals.
James Garwell, Taylor Barker, Kirby Barker, Leah Barker and Mike McInerney also brought home silverware.
For more information on the club, search ‘Wisbech Inline Speed Skating Club’ on Facebook or contact Jo Tidman on 07878 563063 or firstname.lastname@example.org.