In-form Liam stars when heat is on
RACING driver Liam McMillan made a good start to his first season in the Spanish SEAT Supercopa series. The 18-year-old from Wisbech finished all three races in Madrid despite suffering overheating problems with his Leon Cupra. In front of 30,000 spectat
RACING driver Liam McMillan made a good start to his first season in the Spanish SEAT Supercopa series.
The 18-year-old from Wisbech finished all three races in Madrid despite suffering overheating problems with his Leon Cupra.
In front of 30,000 spectators McMillan produced his best performance in the final race, when he set the sixth fastest lap time on the way to a 13th-place finish out of 33 cars.
McMillan came 25th in the second race.
You may also want to watch:
He narrowly avoided a crash in this race but managed to steer off the track when a car ahead of him rolled at the first corner.
McMillan skilfully avoided a crash in the first race.
- 1 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 2 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 3 Inquest opens into death of labourer, 20, who drowned
- 4 Antiques dealer's collection to be sold at auction
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 7 So that's settled - Government not council will fund new school
- 8 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 9 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 10 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
He made a good start but was forced out on to the grass after a pile-up at the opening corner.
With the water temperature reading 115°C and warning lights and alarms distracting him, McMillan did well to finish the race at all - crossing the line in 24th position.
He will return to Spain in two weeks for the opening rounds of the SEAT EuroCup, which take place at the 120,000 spectator capacity MotoGP circuit in Valencia on May 17-18.
McMillan said: "It's a shame we had an overheating problem, but we'll have a new engine installed for the Valencia meeting.
"I've tested at Valencia and I like the circuit a lot, so I'm really looking forward to it.