Holders Wisbech Town exit Ridgeons League Challenge Cup
HOLDERS Wisbech Town’s 12-game unbeaten run ended last night as they exited the Ridgeons League Challenge Cup after a 1-0 defeat at Norwich United.
A first-half penalty was enough to consign Steve Appleby’s Fenmen to defeat in the second round clash at a damp and foggy Plantation Park.
Striker Liam Nimmo was sent off in injury time for a second bookable offence as Wisbech’s hopes of retaining the trophy they won in May - the club’s first for 16 years - ended.
The reverse finished Wisbech’s sensational run, stretching back to their 9-0 drubbing at Mildenhall Town in September.
The Fenmen will be looking to bounce back immediately in Saturday’s massive home Ridgeons League Premier Division clash with Brantham Athletic.
You may also want to watch:
Appleby’s side are third in the table while Athletic are just three points ahead of them in second.
However, star striker Chris Bacon - who has scored 13 league goals this season - will miss the game through suspension after picking up five bookings.
- 1 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
- 2 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 3 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021
- 4 Overgrown ditch ‘hasn’t been maintained for at least eight years’
- 5 Town council says market is operating safely and within Covid-19 guidelines
- 6 Council tax frozen after eventful but non event year
- 7 'Bed-bound, my body felt exasperated' - reporter shares battle with Covid-19
- 8 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 9 Ditch crash victim seriously injured