Holders Wisbech Town exit Ridgeons League Challenge Cup
HOLDERS Wisbech Town’s 12-game unbeaten run ended last night as they exited the Ridgeons League Challenge Cup after a 1-0 defeat at Norwich United.
A first-half penalty was enough to consign Steve Appleby’s Fenmen to defeat in the second round clash at a damp and foggy Plantation Park.
Striker Liam Nimmo was sent off in injury time for a second bookable offence as Wisbech’s hopes of retaining the trophy they won in May - the club’s first for 16 years - ended.
The reverse finished Wisbech’s sensational run, stretching back to their 9-0 drubbing at Mildenhall Town in September.
The Fenmen will be looking to bounce back immediately in Saturday’s massive home Ridgeons League Premier Division clash with Brantham Athletic.
You may also want to watch:
Appleby’s side are third in the table while Athletic are just three points ahead of them in second.
However, star striker Chris Bacon - who has scored 13 league goals this season - will miss the game through suspension after picking up five bookings.
- 1 Fly-tipped sofa second reported incident this week
- 2 'Horrific ordeal' of saleswoman tied up, restrained and sexually assaulted
- 3 Businessman slams council’s coronavirus grants in explosive live rant
- 4 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 5 Boy, 16, found with screwdriver in town park
- 6 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 7 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 8 'I hit brick walls' says guardian fighting for child mental health support
- 9 Opposition sign historic power sharing agreement to seize control of county council
- 10 Murder suspect is victim's son