HOCKEY: Wisbech Town 1sts on the brink of relegation, while the super 2nds close in on title success
- Credit: Archant
One Wisbech Town team was pushed closer to East Men’s League relegtion last Saturday, but another side boosted their title hopes.
The club’s 1sts are now nine points from Premier B Division safety after being beaten 8-0 by Bourne Deeping – a fourth successive defeat.
Wisbech 2nds are faring considerably better this season and moved three points clear at the top of Division Four North-West with a 5-4 derby success against Long Sutton 2nds.
The table-toppers breezed into a three-goal advantage courtesy of James Williams, Jamie Hallatt and Paul Lawrence, but allowed their opponents to level by half-time.
Wisbech then fell behind in the second period before recovering to claim a vital victory as Hallatt struck twice more to compete his hat-trick.
You may also want to watch:
The 4ths were beaten 3-0 by Louth 2nds in Division Six North-West (North).
Wisbech Town Ladies 1sts enjoyed East Women’s League success last Saturday as they beat Lowestoft 2-1 in Division One North.
- 1 'Horrific ordeal' of saleswoman tied up, restrained and sexually assaulted
- 2 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 3 Businessman slams council’s coronavirus grants in explosive live rant
- 4 Fly-tipped sofa second reported incident this week
- 5 Boy, 16, found with screwdriver in town park
- 6 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 7 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 8 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 9 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 10 'I hit brick walls' says guardian fighting for child mental health support
Izzie Pope gave the locals the lead after good work from Joey Gomm, and Laura Overland doubled the advantage following a well-worked short corner.
Wisbech saw their lead halved, but held on to earn three well-deserved points.
The 3rds saw their wait for a first Division Four North-West (North) win continue when beaten 10-0 by leaders Cambridge South 2nds.
But the club’s Under 16 Girls team enjoyed a big win last weekend. They beat Lincoln side Lindum 7-1 on Sunday – a victory which featured a hat-trick from player-of-the-match Grace Gowing.
* Wisbech Town Hockey Club hold their annual meeting on Monday, 8pm start at the clubhouse.