HOCKEY: Wisbech Town 1sts on the brink of relegation, while the super 2nds close in on title success
- Credit: Archant
One Wisbech Town team was pushed closer to East Men’s League relegtion last Saturday, but another side boosted their title hopes.
The club’s 1sts are now nine points from Premier B Division safety after being beaten 8-0 by Bourne Deeping – a fourth successive defeat.
Wisbech 2nds are faring considerably better this season and moved three points clear at the top of Division Four North-West with a 5-4 derby success against Long Sutton 2nds.
The table-toppers breezed into a three-goal advantage courtesy of James Williams, Jamie Hallatt and Paul Lawrence, but allowed their opponents to level by half-time.
Wisbech then fell behind in the second period before recovering to claim a vital victory as Hallatt struck twice more to compete his hat-trick.
The 4ths were beaten 3-0 by Louth 2nds in Division Six North-West (North).
Wisbech Town Ladies 1sts enjoyed East Women’s League success last Saturday as they beat Lowestoft 2-1 in Division One North.
- 1 Teenager, 19, on County Drug Lines heroin and crack cocaine charge
- 2 Former Wisbech mayor Aigars Balsevics charged with rape
- 3 Dealer flees on foot leaving drugs, cash and his bike behind
- 4 Cup winners, bumper crowds and an ex-England star amongst Fenmen success
- 5 Teens arrested after woman threatened with hammer in Wisbech
- 6 Take a look inside this £600,000 converted barn hidden in the Fens
- 7 Plumbing ringleader who ‘traded under multiple names’ jailed
- 8 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 9 Official who probed Covid breaches by councillors fears for job
- 10 Post office break-in linked to three other ram raids, say police
Izzie Pope gave the locals the lead after good work from Joey Gomm, and Laura Overland doubled the advantage following a well-worked short corner.
Wisbech saw their lead halved, but held on to earn three well-deserved points.
The 3rds saw their wait for a first Division Four North-West (North) win continue when beaten 10-0 by leaders Cambridge South 2nds.
But the club’s Under 16 Girls team enjoyed a big win last weekend. They beat Lincoln side Lindum 7-1 on Sunday – a victory which featured a hat-trick from player-of-the-match Grace Gowing.
* Wisbech Town Hockey Club hold their annual meeting on Monday, 8pm start at the clubhouse.