Hockey round-up: Wisbech men’s first team beaten while ladies remain winless
WINLESS Wisbech ladies’ first team continued their miserable start to life in the East Women’s Premier League with a 2-0 defeat to St Albans II.
A player-of-the-match performance from Jo Bland was not enough to prevent Wisbech’s fourth loss of the season, which leaves them bottom of the table.
•`WISBECH men’s first team fell to a 5-3 defeat against Crostyx in a feisty game which saw four yellow cards.
Brad Apted fired a brace and Sam Markille was also on target but Wisbech slumped to their second successive Premier Division B loss.
• RUTHLESS finishing from Wisbech II saw them thrash Cambridge South II 8-1.
You may also want to watch:
A hat-trick from Dave Webster, a brace from Karl Belding and goals from Sam Dunn, Gary Freear and Drew Harvey secured a comfortable win.
• A SUPERB hat-trick from Richard Claxton gave Wisbech III their first win of the season.
- 1 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits
- 2 Updates as emergency services rush to major crash blocking B1101
- 3 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
- 4 Serious crash blocks main road into Fen town
- 5 Home next to disused railway bridge gets the go-ahead
- 6 Man in his 20 dies at West Norfolk park
- 7 On hottest day of the year hospital 'put me in a store room for over two hours'
- 8 Fifty jobs up for grabs as Deliveroo announces early move into Wisbech
- 9 Breast cancer survivor on why weight loss 'saved my life'
- 10 Man jailed for sexual relationship with schoolgirl
Claxton’s treble and a Howard Atkins strike helped the third team beat St Ives 4-3.
• WISBECH men’s IV were thumped 7-1 at Bourne IV but the club’s ladies III enjoyed a better weekend beating Bourne-Deeping III 3-0.
• WISBECH ladies’ II surrendered a two-goal lead against high-flying Rutland, falling to a 5-3 defeat.
Gilly Dunn, Lou Sandall and player of the match Jodi Peggs were Wisbech’s scorers.
• LONG Sutton men’s first team crashed to a 4-1 defeat against Harleston Magpies II but goals from Rebecca Kierman and Bryony Normanton gave the ladies’ first team a deserved victory against Peterborough Ladies II.
• BRACES from Ben Smith and man of the match Ben Shore helped Long Sutton men’s II to a 4-2 win over St Ives III.
• A NEAT finish from Josh Fyson and an excellent goalkeeping display from Albert Slator gave Long Sutton men’s III a 1-0 victory over table-topping Grantham.
• A DEBUT goal for Oliver Gayford was the only bright point for Long Sutton men’s IV as they fell to a 5-1 defeat against Horncastle II.
• LONG Sutton ladies’ II put in the club’s performance of the weekend by thumping Alford II 6-0.
Lisa Baker scored four fantastic goals with striker Katie Ireland bagging a brace.