Hockey round-up: Wisbech Ladies’ first XI maintain 100 per cent start to season
WISBECH Ladies’ first team maintained their 100 per cent start to the campaign but their male counterparts tasted their first defeat of the season at unbeaten Dereham. It was a mixed weekend elsewhere for Wisbech’s hockey select.
East Women’s Hockey League - Division One North
Wisbech 4 Ipswich East-Suffolk 1
Wisbech dominated throughout to continue their scintillating start to the season with a fine 4-1 victory. A double from Jane Peggs and goals from Jo Bland and player of the match Natalie Ward secured a deserved victory.
Cambridgeshire Ladies League - Premier Division
You may also want to watch:
Wisbech II 0 Cambridge Uni III 7
Alice Wong caused Cambridge Uni massive problems in the opening 10 minutes but the visitors dominated the remainder of the half to go in two nil up at the break. The home side started strongly after the break but Uni scored against the run of the play and added four further goals to win convincingly.
- 1 'Numerous cars' in roundabout crash
- 2 Police share images of Wisbech cannabis factory
- 3 Recycling firm goes bust ahead of £55,000 court fines and costs
- 4 Man hails social media after finding stolen dumper in under 48 hours
- 5 ‘I’m tired of being fobbed off’ says customer of Wisbech builder
- 6 Grandmother crochets 'worry worms' for children to find
- 7 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits
- 8 Spotted in Ely founder Mark Cooney dies
- 9 Plans for multi-million pound training school given green light
- 10 Norfolk has no Covid patients in hospital for first time since August
East Men’s Hockey League - Premier Division B
Dereham 2 Wisbech 1
A depleted Wisbech side tasted their first defeat of the season but felt aggrieved at receiving four yellow cards while the home side went unpunished for similar infringements. Dan Martell scored Wisbech’s goal but his side’s failure to capitalise on their earlier dominance cost them dearly.
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Three North-West
Wisbech III 1 St Ives II 0
Skipper Dom Stannard scored to secure victory for a Wisbech side who nearly paid the price for wasteful finishing during the first half. ‘Keeper James Dodd make several excellent saves in the second period to help his side move up to fifth.
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Five North-West
Wisbech IV 1 St Neots III 0
Hugo Atkins applied a neat finish to Tom Drew’s through-ball to clinch a tight encounter.