Hockey round-up: Two Wisbech sides battle it out for club bragging rights
BRAGGING rights were at stake when a large crowd watched two Wisbech Town Hockey Club’s men’s teams face each other on Saturday.
The IIs sailed into a 3-0 lead after goals from Lee Peck (2) and Sam Dunn but strikes from Hugo Atkins and Howard Atkins restored pride for the IIIs.
• MARLY Lawson’s hat-trick helped the ladies’ II move up to third in the Cambridgeshire Premier Division with a 3-0 win over City of Peterborough III.
Emma Baker set up all three goals for the team who thanked Roger Kay and Gary Freear for umpiring.
• GAVIN Johnstone scored but a poor-second half performance saw the men’s first team slip to a 4-1 defeat at Letchworth.
You may also want to watch:
• GOALS from Pete Shippey (2), Elliot Peck and Jonathan Boyal secured the men’s IV 4-1 win against Ely City III.
• THE ladies’ III lost 2-0 to Huntingdon II despite a fine display from player of the match Ellie Cobb.
- 1 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 2 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 3 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 4 Marathon runner passes through Cambs on route to Kathmandu
- 5 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 6 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 7 Bungling burglar confronted wearing stolen clothes
- 8 Rainbow alliance hoping to bring sunshine to the Fens
- 9 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 10 Pets saved in horrific rescue start to be rehomed
• UNBEATEN Bromley & Beckenham hammered the struggling ladies’ first team 7-0.
LONG SUTTON HOCKEY CLUB
• THE second-placed ladies’ first team beat Cambridge City II 2-1 to keep up their title challenge thanks to goal from Melissa Ludlam and Bryony Normanton.
• GARY Hales, Josh Fyson and captain Jimmy Harrison scored while ‘keeper Jake Loweth saved a penalty to help the men’s first team draw 3-3 with Crostyx.
• DAN Batten (2), Ben Shore (2), Stuart Ingram, Nick Bailey, Jeremy Watt and Michael Donagy got on the scoresheet as the men’s II thumped Boston 8-1.
• THE men’s III slumped to a disappointing 1-0 derby loss at struggling Spalding V.
• LEAGUE-LEADERS Alford hammered the ladies’ II 8-0.