Hockey round-up: Two Wisbech sides battle it out for club bragging rights
BRAGGING rights were at stake when a large crowd watched two Wisbech Town Hockey Club’s men’s teams face each other on Saturday.
The IIs sailed into a 3-0 lead after goals from Lee Peck (2) and Sam Dunn but strikes from Hugo Atkins and Howard Atkins restored pride for the IIIs.
• MARLY Lawson’s hat-trick helped the ladies’ II move up to third in the Cambridgeshire Premier Division with a 3-0 win over City of Peterborough III.
Emma Baker set up all three goals for the team who thanked Roger Kay and Gary Freear for umpiring.
• GAVIN Johnstone scored but a poor-second half performance saw the men’s first team slip to a 4-1 defeat at Letchworth.
• GOALS from Pete Shippey (2), Elliot Peck and Jonathan Boyal secured the men’s IV 4-1 win against Ely City III.
• THE ladies’ III lost 2-0 to Huntingdon II despite a fine display from player of the match Ellie Cobb.
- 1 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 2 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 3 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 4 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
- 5 Princess Anne visits Wisbech's new Citizens Advice Bureau on Cambs trip
- 6 Whistleblower shares story of bullying, fatigue and 'dangerous' hours at ambulance service
- 7 Sex offender case adjourned due to judge's concerns
- 8 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 9 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 10 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
• UNBEATEN Bromley & Beckenham hammered the struggling ladies’ first team 7-0.
LONG SUTTON HOCKEY CLUB
• THE second-placed ladies’ first team beat Cambridge City II 2-1 to keep up their title challenge thanks to goal from Melissa Ludlam and Bryony Normanton.
• GARY Hales, Josh Fyson and captain Jimmy Harrison scored while ‘keeper Jake Loweth saved a penalty to help the men’s first team draw 3-3 with Crostyx.
• DAN Batten (2), Ben Shore (2), Stuart Ingram, Nick Bailey, Jeremy Watt and Michael Donagy got on the scoresheet as the men’s II thumped Boston 8-1.
• THE men’s III slumped to a disappointing 1-0 derby loss at struggling Spalding V.
• LEAGUE-LEADERS Alford hammered the ladies’ II 8-0.