Hockey round-up: Long Sutton and Wisbech ladies continue promotion charge
IT was a mixed weekend for Fenland’s hockey sides who returned to action last weekend after a six-week Christmas break.
East Men’s Hockey League – Premier Division B
Wisbech 3 City of Peterborough II 5
Wisbech tasted their first home defeat of the season despite a stirring fightback. The visitors were 4-0 up before goals from Joe Melton, Tom Jupp and Dan Martell gave the home side hope. However, a fifth goal ended any possibility of a remarkable comeback.
East Men’s Hockey League – Division Three North-West
You may also want to watch:
Rutland II 3 Wisbech III 1
Wisbech took the lead through Richard Claxton’s first goal of the season as they started well. However, they failed to take some golden chances in the second half to draw level after going in 2-1 down at the break. A final Rutland goal killed off the game despite the heroic efforts of emergency ‘keeper Tom Peggs.
- 1 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits
- 2 Updates as emergency services rush to major crash blocking B1101
- 3 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
- 4 Serious crash blocks main road into Fen town
- 5 Home next to disused railway bridge gets the go-ahead
- 6 Man in his 20 dies at West Norfolk park
- 7 Breast cancer survivor on why weight loss 'saved my life'
- 8 On hottest day of the year hospital 'put me in a store room for over two hours'
- 9 Fifty jobs up for grabs as Deliveroo announces early move into Wisbech
- 10 Man jailed for sexual relationship with schoolgirl
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Five North-West
City of Peterborough VII 3 Wisbech IV 2
Wisbech squandered a two-goal lead after Edward and Hugo Atkins had put the visitors in a commanding position. However, the home side pulled one back before the break and their pressure told as they grabbed two more goals to win the game by the narrowest of margins.
East Women’s Hockey League – Division Two North-West
Ely City 0 Long Sutton 6
Sutton thumped Ely 6-0 to shoot to the top of the table after an excellent attacking performance. Goals from Holly Naismith (2), Robyn Gribble (2), Ali Hobson and Amy Kirkham sealed the emphatic victory. PoM: Gemma Parr. The side also beat Newark 2-1 in a friendly on Sunday with goals from Katie Spooner and Sophie Hart.
East Women’s Hockey League - Division One North
Wisbech 4 St Neots 1
Goals from Georgie Dunn (2), Jane Peggs and Claire Apted continued Wisbech’s phenomenal unbeaten run.
See Friday’s paper for an in-depth look at Wisbech Ladies amazing run. The article will also appear on this site over the weekend.