HOCKEY: National Shield heartbreak for plucky Wisbech Town Ladies Over 35s
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town Ladies Over 35s fell at the final hurdle of the Masters Over 35s Shield last weekend.
The local ladies performed heroically but fell to a 2-0 defeat to Barnes in the national competition’s showdown at the Olympic Park on Sunday.
Barnes, who fielded several National League players, began the tie on the front foot but saw their efforts turned away by player-of-the-match Lorraine Wallis.
Wisbech managed to keep Barnes at arm’s length until the London club fired the opening goal with 15 minutes to play.
Wisbech were then caught on the break on their hunt for a leveller and were hit with a second goal late on.
You may also want to watch:
Captain Laura Overland said: “I’d like to say a huge thank you to all the travelling supporters that were amazing from the sidelines and were by far the loudest crowd of the day.
“I’d also like to thank Joey Gomm for her managerial skills and tactics and WEP Fabrication Ltd and SB Components for their sponsorship on the day.”
- 1 Two charged with Wisbech murder
- 2 Dogs 'whining and crying' claims kennels objector
- 3 New £1.5million Co-op store opens its doors – creating 12 local jobs
- 4 Three derelict cottages sell in auction for £122,000
- 5 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack
- 6 Suspected drug dealers arrested in Wisbech raid
- 7 First wholetime woman firefighter in Cambs retires after 30 years
- 8 Arsonists strike again by setting fire to tyres
- 9 Port welcomes 10 ships in a month from Latvia to The Netherlands
- 10 Two appear in court for murder after victim dies from 2006 assault