HOCKEY: National Shield heartbreak for plucky Wisbech Town Ladies Over 35s
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town Ladies Over 35s fell at the final hurdle of the Masters Over 35s Shield last weekend.
The local ladies performed heroically but fell to a 2-0 defeat to Barnes in the national competition’s showdown at the Olympic Park on Sunday.
Barnes, who fielded several National League players, began the tie on the front foot but saw their efforts turned away by player-of-the-match Lorraine Wallis.
Wisbech managed to keep Barnes at arm’s length until the London club fired the opening goal with 15 minutes to play.
Wisbech were then caught on the break on their hunt for a leveller and were hit with a second goal late on.
Captain Laura Overland said: “I’d like to say a huge thank you to all the travelling supporters that were amazing from the sidelines and were by far the loudest crowd of the day.
“I’d also like to thank Joey Gomm for her managerial skills and tactics and WEP Fabrication Ltd and SB Components for their sponsorship on the day.”
- 1 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 2 Crowds watch as Wisbech lights up for Christmas
- 3 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 4 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 5 New £566k convenience store opens creating 12 jobs
- 6 Council’s final meeting of 2021 to include minute’s silence for those lost
- 7 Auditor who fell ill on eve of farmgate report not returning to council
- 8 Family's tribute to 'much-loved' and 'fun-loving' A1198 crash victim
- 9 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 10 Health chiefs call for action amid rise in sexually transmitted infections