HOCKEY: Haynes cracker helps Wisbech table-toppers to big win - debutants shine as ladies side collect first point
- Credit: Archant
Table-topping Wisbech Town 2nds bounced back from a first defeat of the season to put their East Men’s League title challenge back on track.
The Fenland side thumped fellow promotion hopefuls St Ives 2nds 6-2 in a crunch Division Four North-West clash last Saturday.
Danny Haynes hit a goal-of-the-season contender while Matt Pooley struck twice. Kieran Hallett, Jonny Garner and James Williams also found the net.
Wisbech 3rds saw their promotion hopes hit by a 3-0 defeat at leaders Kettering 2nds in Division Five North-West, but a patched-up 4ths side triumphed 1-0 at Leadenham 3rds in Division Six North-West (North) thanks to an early Ciaran Lowe goal following a bout of pinball at a short corner.
Wisbech Town Ladies 3rds collected their first point of the East Women’s League season last Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
They were involved in a goalless Division Four North-West (South) draw against Ely City 2nds.
Goalkeeping debutant Georgia Ellis earned the player-of-the-match accolade following an impressive display, while new defensive signing Fiona Hamer-Philip also impressed.
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 New independent funeral service opens in Wisbech
- 3 Man on the run after stealing e-scooter from child
- 4 Suspected drug dealers arrested in Wisbech raid
- 5 Two charged with Wisbech murder
- 6 Tories retain two Wisbech seats for county council
- 7 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 8 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 9 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 10 Wisbech boss confident of upturn in fortunes thanks to new-look squad
Wisbech 1sts were no match for the Division One North table-toppers. The local ladies were beaten 7-0 at a Harleston Magpies side who were reeling off a 10th consecutive win this season.
Wisbech entered an Under 10 team in a regional tournament also involving youngsters from March Town, Cambridge South and Cambridge City.
They won one, drew one and lost two of their games with Oscar Smithee scoring three goals. Kai Peggs and Toby Smith also found the net for a side completed by Rose Smith, Jacob Walker, Daniel Boyall and Connor Greville.