HOCKEY: Haynes cracker helps Wisbech table-toppers to big win - debutants shine as ladies side collect first point
- Credit: Archant
Table-topping Wisbech Town 2nds bounced back from a first defeat of the season to put their East Men’s League title challenge back on track.
The Fenland side thumped fellow promotion hopefuls St Ives 2nds 6-2 in a crunch Division Four North-West clash last Saturday.
Danny Haynes hit a goal-of-the-season contender while Matt Pooley struck twice. Kieran Hallett, Jonny Garner and James Williams also found the net.
Wisbech 3rds saw their promotion hopes hit by a 3-0 defeat at leaders Kettering 2nds in Division Five North-West, but a patched-up 4ths side triumphed 1-0 at Leadenham 3rds in Division Six North-West (North) thanks to an early Ciaran Lowe goal following a bout of pinball at a short corner.
Wisbech Town Ladies 3rds collected their first point of the East Women’s League season last Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
They were involved in a goalless Division Four North-West (South) draw against Ely City 2nds.
Goalkeeping debutant Georgia Ellis earned the player-of-the-match accolade following an impressive display, while new defensive signing Fiona Hamer-Philip also impressed.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 7 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 8 Take 10 initiative leaves students ‘buzzing’ about literacy
- 9 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 10 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
Wisbech 1sts were no match for the Division One North table-toppers. The local ladies were beaten 7-0 at a Harleston Magpies side who were reeling off a 10th consecutive win this season.
Wisbech entered an Under 10 team in a regional tournament also involving youngsters from March Town, Cambridge South and Cambridge City.
They won one, drew one and lost two of their games with Oscar Smithee scoring three goals. Kai Peggs and Toby Smith also found the net for a side completed by Rose Smith, Jacob Walker, Daniel Boyall and Connor Greville.