Despite manager’s son being sent off in 15th minute, Wisbech Town extend unbeaten home run
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town extended their unbeaten home run in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League Division One East to four games with a 1-1 draw – despite playing 75 minutes of the game a man down.
The sending off of Danny Setchell – son of manager Gary – in the 15th minute for violent conduct meant the Fenmen’s job would be harder against a Brighouse Town side who occupied seventh place at the start of play.
However, it was 12th-placed Wisbech who struck first on the half hour. Alex Beck found the net from six yards after good work by Aaron Hart down the right from debutant Jack Keeble’s free-kick.
Despite their numerical advantage, the visitors from West Yorkshire struggled to break down a resolute home defence and didn’t register a shot on target until Brighouse midfielder Iwan Heeley beat keeper Dan Swan with a shot from 25 yards in the 63rd minute to bring the scores level.
Shortly afterwards, the crossbar denied the visitors while Swan pulled off a tremendous save to deny Aaron Martin towards the end.
You may also want to watch:
Wisbech’s scheduled home game against Cleethorpes on Tuesday has been postponed because their scheduled opponents have an FA Cup replay.
- 1 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 2 Inquest opens into death of labourer, 20, who drowned
- 3 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 4 Antiques dealer's collection to be sold at auction
- 5 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 6 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 7 So that's settled - Government not council will fund new school
- 8 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 9 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 10 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens