Despite manager’s son being sent off in 15th minute, Wisbech Town extend unbeaten home run
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town extended their unbeaten home run in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League Division One East to four games with a 1-1 draw – despite playing 75 minutes of the game a man down.
The sending off of Danny Setchell – son of manager Gary – in the 15th minute for violent conduct meant the Fenmen’s job would be harder against a Brighouse Town side who occupied seventh place at the start of play.
However, it was 12th-placed Wisbech who struck first on the half hour. Alex Beck found the net from six yards after good work by Aaron Hart down the right from debutant Jack Keeble’s free-kick.
Despite their numerical advantage, the visitors from West Yorkshire struggled to break down a resolute home defence and didn’t register a shot on target until Brighouse midfielder Iwan Heeley beat keeper Dan Swan with a shot from 25 yards in the 63rd minute to bring the scores level.
Shortly afterwards, the crossbar denied the visitors while Swan pulled off a tremendous save to deny Aaron Martin towards the end.
You may also want to watch:
Wisbech’s scheduled home game against Cleethorpes on Tuesday has been postponed because their scheduled opponents have an FA Cup replay.
- 1 Fenland Council loses fight to stop incinerator survey
- 2 Grandmother of drowning victim calls for Bawsey Pits closure
- 3 800 sign in 24 hours to close lake where Radek drowned
- 4 Man in court after more than £656k of cannabis seized
- 5 Fire crews free driver trapped in overturned lorry
- 6 Man arrested after cannabis factory found after house blaze
- 7 14-year-old footballer's 'dream' comes true after securing England trial
- 8 Wife's tribute to husband killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 9 Major youth football tournament cancelled for second year running
- 10 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits