Wisbech rugby players record their first home win of the season while the Wildcats win on the road

Henrikas Stankus, man of the match. Wisbech Rugby Club.

Henrikas Stankus, man of the match. Wisbech Rugby Club. - Credit: Archant

Player in Wisbech 1st XV recorded their first home win of the season while the Wildcats won on the road, both teams claiming bonus point victories.

In dry conditions on a sunny afternoon at Harecroft Road you could not have asked for better conditions for open running rugby.

Wisbech showed a complete performance to achieve an emphatic bonus point victory against unbeaten old foes Wymondham.

Wisbech sitting sixth in the league with Wymondham second, and both sides heading into the game coming off fantastic wins the week before, the match was poised to be a highly competitive affair but it would be the men in red who would start with intent.

From the kick-off Wisbech dominated the opening exchanges never letting Wymondham settle into their rhythm.

You may also want to watch:

Some good forwards interplay and individual runs by back rowers’ Jethro Rawling and Ben Wicks saw Wisbech gain a good field position.

The pressure mounted earning them a penalty which fullback Harry Newman successfully converted to put the home side 3-0 ahead in the first seven minutes.

Most Read

Ten minutes later Wymondham replied with a penalty of their own to level the scores at three all.

Further dominant forward play from the Wisbech pack and clever control of the game from Flyhalf Craig Harron gave Wisbech a bizarre try in the corner after the ball bounced forward of the Wymonham skipper’s cheek, the referee playing advantage, the master poacher Solomon Prestidge pounced on the loose ball for a try, his second score in successive weeks.

Wisbech skipper Prestidge had the bit between his teeth leading with an exceptional work rate, he made a fantastic break, holding off the defender managed to get the ball away to scrum-half James Fear, who ran a superb support line on his inside, to score under the post. Harry Newman adding the conversion taking the half time score to 17-3.

The second half saw more of the same from Wisbech. Newly signed winger and Round Table man-of-the-match Henrikas Stankus provided some powerful running and support lines to the breaks of the geriatric centre Shane Vickers.

Wisbech stalwart and try scoring machine Josh ‘Chocco’ Anderson borrowed his injured brother’s boots to also run in two second half tries to stretch the score line to 29-3 in favour of Wisbech.

Wisbech survived a late comeback attempt from Wymondham who refused to give up scoring two quick unconverted tries of their own. Wisbech had the last say with an opportunist individual try by the rotund winger Raimondas Vinksna, veteran replacement scrum-half Andy Claydon adding the conversion to put the game beyond the Norfolk men, the final score 36-13 for Wisbech.

Player Coach Nico Steenkamp provided a robust and determined performance from the front row despite playing with an injury.

He said: “I’m starting to see the hard work and areas we are working on in training paying off and coming together. It’s great to see the boys starting to work for each other and gelling as a club and a team on and off the pitch.”

Wisbech 1st XV will make the short journey to take on local rivals Ely on Saturday in the Green King London 3 Eastern Counties league, kick off 3pm.

• St Neots Heathens 19 – 27 Wisbech Wildcats

The Wildcats played their first game of the season away to a team which had been unbeaten in their previous two fixtures. The Wildcats were able to field a team balanced with of youth and experience.

The opening encounters were closely contested but Wisbech won a penalty to take a 3-0 lead. St Neots soon hit back scoring an unconverted try in the corner.

However, Wisbech responded with a try from seventeen year old Dan Di Meo who completed his senior debut with a hat-trick man-of-the-match performance.

The game was a tight unfair until Lewis Haddon provide a moment of magic, coming off the bench, he broke free to score an excellent try. With Wisbech eight points in the lead St Neots kept the pressure on but were unable to bridge the stubborn Wildcats defence to claim a bonus point win.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter