Harper hat-trick helps Wisbech to emphatic 6-1 victory
RIDGEONS PREMIER DIVISION Harwich and Parkeston 1 Wisbech Town 6 WISBECH boss Gary Setchell believes there will be no problem keeping his players feet on the ground after super-sub Rory Harper s second-half hat-trick helped them to their biggest win of t
RIDGEONS PREMIER DIVISION
Harwich and Parkeston 1 Wisbech Town 6
WISBECH boss Gary Setchell believes there will be no problem keeping his players' feet on the ground after super-sub Rory Harper's second-half hat-trick helped them to their biggest win of the season.
The Fenmen, who are eighth, are unbeaten in 11 games but facing what Setchell sees as some tough fixtures over the Christmas period, starting with Haverhill at home on Saturday.
Setchell said: "Harwich fielded a very young side against us on Saturday and they appear to be struggling financially. It's sad to see a club like Harwich in this situation but we can't be unsympathetic on the pitch. The lads approached the game properly and played very well.
"That was Harwich's biggest home defeat of the season and they have had some very good teams go there.
- 1 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 2 Man taken to hospital after 'welfare' concerns
- 3 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 4 Former Wisbech mayor Aigars Balsevics charged with rape
- 5 Dashcam appeal after three die in three-vehicle A1 crash
- 6 Cup winners, bumper crowds and an ex-England star amongst Fenmen success
- 7 Teenager, 19, on County Drug Lines heroin and crack cocaine charge
- 8 Dealer flees on foot leaving drugs, cash and his bike behind
- 9 Donkeys' grassland could be replaced with seven homes
- 10 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
"But the lads know they need to work hard to get a result from every game. They are all grounded and nobody is getting carried away."
A 30-yard wonder strike gave Harwich the lead but Stuart Cobb equalised from 12 yards after 14 minutes after the hosts failed to clear their lines.
Jordan Yong's 25-yard first time volley following a headed clearance put Wisbech 2-1 up in the 33rd minute.
Harper who came on in the first half for Darren Jimson, rounded the Harwich keeper to make it 3-1 in the 55th minute and Scott Cubberley scored from close range at the back post after Yong's superb run and low cross from the left for 4-1 on 71 minutes.
Harper increased the lead when unmarked in the penalty box after an exchange of passes with Cubberley and completed the scoring two minutes later by rolling into an empty net after the Harwich goalkeeper kicked the ball straight to him.
Setchell said: "Rory played very well and Jordan Yong was exceptional for us.