Guyhirn FC lose to Langtoft United in Peterborough Football League Division 2
Peterborough and District Football League Division 2 Guyhirn 1 Langtoft United 4 IT S been a tough season for Guyhirn Football Club. The team nearly folded last summer, dropped a league to survive and have, so far, picked up just one point all seas
Peterborough and District Football League Division 2
Guyhirn 1 Langtoft United 4
IT'S been a tough season for Guyhirn Football Club. The team nearly folded last summer, dropped a league to survive and have, so far, picked up just one point all season.
But the players haven't lost any of their fighting spirit - and Saturday's 4-1 defeat against top-of-the-table Langtoft United was an unfair reflection on their performance.
You may also want to watch:
Most of Guyhirn's players left the club at the end of last season, while it was flying high in Division 1.
Chairman Adrian Bussey said: "At the start of the year we asked to drop a league because we didn't think we had a team to perform in Division 1.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 3 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 4 Verdict means former mayor can keep pub
- 5 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 6 Antiques dealer's collection to be sold at auction
- 7 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 8 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 9 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 10 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
"We went down to Division 2 and have been holding our own - our games have been fairly close and the teams we play against cannot understand how we are bottom.
"We are getting better every week. But we have a new bunch of lads who have played only 13 games together - and some are not available every week."
On Saturday Guyhirn took the game to Langtoft and hit the post in the first half. However, Langtoft caught Guyhirn twice on the break within the final three minutes to take a 2-0 half time lead.
Guyhirn pulled a goal back through an own goal fit for a Christmas gaffe DVD. The Langtoft goalkeeper was caught out by a rut and missed his clearance from a back pass.
Langtoft restored their two-goal lead through a well-worked corner, and wrapped up the win with a fourth through a counter-attack.
Bussey said: "We are not disheartened by the result. We are looking forward to playing some of the sides just above us in the league because we feel we've got a good chance of picking up some results."
• To join Guyhirn FC, contact Adrian Bussey on 07970 720448.