Great night for Wisbech Town as Emmington bags first senior goal and Cousins re-signs
TEENAGER Danny Emmington scored his first senior goal as Wisbech Town reached the Cambs Invitation Cup Semi-Finals last night while Paul Cousins rejoined the Fenmen.
Emmington, 17, notched as Steve Appleby’s side beat Haverhill Rovers 1-0 in their rearranged Cambs Invitation Cup Quarter Final.
Former captain Paul Cousins was also at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium last night to complete a sensational return to Wisbech Town just months after leaving to join for fierce rivals King’s Lynn Town.
Fenmen boss Steve Appleby re-signed Cousins after Stacy Cartwright was ruled out for the rest of the season with horrific facial injuries.
Dave Batch, Cousins’ ex-manager at Ridgeons Premier Division title-challengers Wroxham, opened the door for the move by waiving Wisbech’s seven-day approach on Monday.
You may also want to watch:
Appleby said: “I know this news won’t go down well in some quarters but I have to do what I think is best for the team.
“Stacy’s out for the season and Paul is a massive presence. His character on the pitch is something we’ve missed.”
- 1 Loft gives up its secret: £60,000 of cannabis plants
- 2 Top Cabinet post for NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay
- 3 Police finally pull car from Fens river
- 4 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 5 Tractor driver error may have caused freight derailment in the Fens
- 6 Camp Beagle protest arrest on suspicion of ‘intimidation’
- 7 Survey finds staggering 97 cent support for new Aldi store
- 8 County council orders review into £120m lending to This Land
- 9 Six-year-old fundraising for air ambulance charity that helped sister during seizure
- 10 446 catalytic converter thefts in just 8 months reported in Cambridgeshire
The centre-back devastated supporters of his hometown club when he left to join Lynn last summer – weeks after lifting Wisbech’s first trophy in 16 years.
He was sacked by Lynn following an internal dispute and enjoyed a brief spell at Soham Town Rangers before joining the Yachtsmen.
Cup-tied Cousins will be unable to play in the Fenmen’s FA Vase Fourth Round replay at Dunston on Saturday.
Midfield ace Callum Reed is available after missing two games through suspension.
Wisbech will find out who they will play in the semi-final of the Cambs FA competition on Monday.