Great night for Wisbech Town as Emmington bags first senior goal and Cousins re-signs
TEENAGER Danny Emmington scored his first senior goal as Wisbech Town reached the Cambs Invitation Cup Semi-Finals last night while Paul Cousins rejoined the Fenmen.
Emmington, 17, notched as Steve Appleby’s side beat Haverhill Rovers 1-0 in their rearranged Cambs Invitation Cup Quarter Final.
Former captain Paul Cousins was also at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium last night to complete a sensational return to Wisbech Town just months after leaving to join for fierce rivals King’s Lynn Town.
Fenmen boss Steve Appleby re-signed Cousins after Stacy Cartwright was ruled out for the rest of the season with horrific facial injuries.
Dave Batch, Cousins’ ex-manager at Ridgeons Premier Division title-challengers Wroxham, opened the door for the move by waiving Wisbech’s seven-day approach on Monday.
You may also want to watch:
Appleby said: “I know this news won’t go down well in some quarters but I have to do what I think is best for the team.
“Stacy’s out for the season and Paul is a massive presence. His character on the pitch is something we’ve missed.”
- 1 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits
- 2 Covid ban on collecting CCTV says police after cycle theft
- 3 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
- 4 Updates as emergency services rush to major crash blocking B1101
- 5 Hancock admits QEH 'in serious need of improvement' but makes no promises
- 6 Home next to disused railway bridge gets the go-ahead
- 7 Former Fen pupil’s McLaren supercar work leads to national award
- 8 Man in his 20 dies at West Norfolk park
- 9 On hottest day of the year hospital 'put me in a store room for over two hours'
- 10 Man jailed for sexual relationship with schoolgirl
The centre-back devastated supporters of his hometown club when he left to join Lynn last summer – weeks after lifting Wisbech’s first trophy in 16 years.
He was sacked by Lynn following an internal dispute and enjoyed a brief spell at Soham Town Rangers before joining the Yachtsmen.
Cup-tied Cousins will be unable to play in the Fenmen’s FA Vase Fourth Round replay at Dunston on Saturday.
Midfield ace Callum Reed is available after missing two games through suspension.
Wisbech will find out who they will play in the semi-final of the Cambs FA competition on Monday.