‘Grandad of Wisbech Town FC’, Bert Roseberry, dies aged 96
WISBECH Town stalwart Bert Roseberry has died at the age of 96.
Mr Roseberry had been associated with the Fenmen for more than 50 years and was a much-loved figure around the club.
He was a director at the club for many years and also acted as reserve and youth team manager. He is widely known as the man who convinced legendary striker Jackie Gallagher, who made more than 500 appearances for the Fenmen, to join the club.
Tributes have already begun pouring in on the club’s fans forum with one poster, Wispay Fan, suggesting a ‘Roseberry Cup’ should be played in the stalwart’s honour.
Chris Dear, the club’s assistant manager, said on the forum: “Bert was a great man. “He always made the effort to speak to you whether you were a young player coming through or an established senior player. I had a lot of respect for Bert and he kind of felt like the grandad of the football club.
You may also want to watch:
“I remember winning the Peterborough Senior Cup at London Road and Bert coming to 5th Avenue night club in Peterborough until 3am in the morning. He must have been about 80 at the time! What a great man. RIP Bert.”
Another fan, Chris, who posts under the username Crewe Exile, described Mr Roseberry as “Mr Wisbech” and hoped that a statue or bust of the legendary figure could be installed somewhere at the club’s new ground on Lynn Road.
- 1 Woman claims police officer ‘forced himself’ upon her
- 2 A fiver for a photographic tour of historic Wisbech
- 3 Table tennis club 'bitterly disappointed' to be told to move
- 4 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 5 'A crash waiting to happen' say police
- 6 Two mystery sinkholes appear across town during scorching weekend
- 7 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 8 Flytippers target same Fenland road two days in a row
- 9 'Harassment' forces village speedwatch team to close
- 10 New ditch to relieve flood issues 'more challenging than expected'
The Fenmen legend died in a nursing home in Corby.
• Leave your tributes to Bert Roseberry below.