Gollands and Meyrick save Wisbech from back to back losses while Emmington shines for the seconds
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech looked like they were destined for their second straight loss ... but Jamie Gollands and Tom Meyrick came to their rescue.
At Harecroft Road, Nassington batted first and scored 239-9. Daniel Robinson carried his bat for 122 not out. Captain Gary Freear recorded stunning figures of 6-48, with Sam Rippington (2-21) taking the other wickets to fall.
In reply, Wisbech were languishing at 86-7 when Gollands and Meyrick came together. But the pair put on an unbeaten 89 runs to secure a hard-fought draw. Gollands was unbeaten on 55, with Meyrick unbeaten on 33.
The draw leaves Wisbech fourth in the Tucker Gardener league. Up next is a trip to mid-table Foxton, who are just three points behind Wisbech.
Freear said: “Our top order batting performance was again ever so disappointing. Jamie and Tom showed what a good wicket it was and what could be done with some application.
“My bowling is just a bonus. I’m not sure how I get wickets. Maybe it’s because I’m not afraid to get hit so I keep throwing it up there.
“No disrespect to any of the sides we’ve played this season but Foxton is our first real test. They are one of the sides expected to be up there in the league.
- 1 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 2 Mechanic turned astrophotographer's stunning images of space
- 3 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 4 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 5 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 6 Missing woman back home
- 7 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 8 Former Wisbech mayor Aigars Balsevics charged with rape
- 9 Roll up, roll up, for the Fenland Council mini ‘sale of the century’
- 10 Wife pays tribute to ex-footballer who 'I could always rely on'
“We need to raise our game by 40 per cent to be competitive. We have the ability to do that.”
Danny Emmington was the star man as Wisbech II made it two wins from two in CCA Senior League Division 2 with a 44 run win over Barley.
Wisbech II struggled to 159-6 off their 45 overs. Emmington (46) and Adam Hodgson (44) were the main contributors.
Emmington then took 4-17, with Lyndon Mallett conceding just six runs and taking two wickets in his 10 overs, as Barley were dismissed for 115.
In CCA Junior League 2N, Wisbech III could not back up the previous week’s win as they lost by seven wickets to Little Downham.
Wisbech III were always going to struggle to defend 123. So it proved, as Little Downham cruised home.
The Freears were on fire as Wisbech IV beat St Ives IV by seven wickets in CCA Junior 6N.
Tom Freear led the way (4-31) as St Ives IV were bowled out for 149.
Wisbech IV openers Colin Freear (61) and Rod Shipley (61) all but knocked off the runs themselves.